Pest Algae

davjbeas

I have this algae popping up in about 10 places. I am looking into getting snails or hermit crabs. Please let me know if you can ID this algae from the pictures. The area is about 1/4" or a little bigger

52691500081_de7e6bebdf_o.jpgpic 1 by David Beasley, on Flickr

52691500076_a415eae5ac_o.jpgpic 2 by David Beasley, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

I can't see detail, but is it green hair algae (filamentous, single strands) or filamentous but branching strands (like Bryopsis)? ?

Sent from my Note 10+5g using Tapatalk

in one spot it looks like fur. When I removed some with tweezers it looked like very thin threads.

Which does it resemble more:

Green Hair Algae (Derbesia) (hairy tufts):

IMG_0059(Small).JPG.b99e5b7ce16a1b1ec8d8e3de8b9ac100.JPG

Bryopsis (branching flexible fronds):

bryopsis.jpg.f55f8102588724fb45a20f2f974df12b.jpg

Enteromorpha (long tubular threads):

IMG_0003.thumb.JPG.61eda7802bb6dad839fabd845c949c12.JPG

Cladophora (rigid branching algae):

IMG_0007(5).thumb.JPG.54c3fcee37962dca78b6c09fdb39fb03.JPG

I think it looks more like green hair algae. But where I manually removed some with tweezers there are a few strands that I couldn't get and those look like they could be Bryopsis. I am thinking to get 3-5 Mexican turbo snails and an emerald crab(I have some bubble algae). 

GHA is definitely the most likely. Given how little there is, crabs would potentially starve quickly.

Chances are, there was just a bit of detritus that settled in those places and fueled a bit of algal growth. This coudl be resolved by blowing out the rocks more. Recommend also checking your nutrient parameters.

And, if you're worried about that much algae, definitely don't come see my tank. 🤣

Agreed. Sounds like GHA is most likely. Especially if it pulled out easily in tufts with tweezers. I've found it easier sometimes to identify Bryopsis while it's in the tank. The water keeps the branches separated, making it easier to see the branches.

I am changing out the filter socks tomorrow. I will blow the rocks with a power head before changing them. I have lost a tank to hair algae so I don't want it to get out of control. The emerald crab I want to add is for the bubble algae.

You can also try picking off as much as you can using your forceps. Then, with a toothbrush, lightly scrub the rock while siphoning off the water and debris that comes loose. There is a reef-safe chemical treatment that will wipe out the GHA and/or Bryopsis. I had luck with it many years back when I had a GHA outbreak and finally needed to do something drastic. I don't think you're anywhere near there yet. But, if it did become a problem again, consider Fluconazole. You'll find instructions online. But you pre-dissolve one 200 mg capsule for every 10 gallons of water, adding it to your tank. Do this every 24 hours for 5 days. Plan on making some partial water changes during treatment as the algae dies off. You should see improvement within 5 days and, if not, discontinue the treatment as it may not be susceptible. The results are long-lasting, too, in my experience.

Just another tool in the arsenal.

Fluconazole knocked out my bubble algae back in the day. It rocks for stubborn algae, but I don't think you need to be there quite yet. 

12 hours ago, ReefdUp said:

Fluconazole knocked out my bubble algae back in the day. It rocks for stubborn algae, but I don't think you need to be there quite yet. 

Agreed. As noted in my post, I don't think you're anywhere near that. The information is provided, not only for your arsenal, but also for others that may find this thread someday in the future.

For you, since the problem seems so isolated, I'd first give manual removal and the toothbrush/siphon approach a try. Then, bring in a minimum team of herbivores if needed - just enough that your tank can actually sustain to keep any problem under control. (That is, don't get so many that they eventually starve unless you're willing to toss more food in that can sustain them after they've done their job.)

It is good to know at least what the algae is. I did not know about that medication. Is that med reef safe in that it does not harm corals? I agree it is not bad enough right now to go that way. I currently have 2 camel snails, and a lot of baby snails. I have been doing research on reefcleaners.org. I have found that there are lots of options for critters that eat hair algae and bubble algae.  

9 hours ago, davjbeas said:

It is good to know at least what the algae is. I did not know about that medication. Is that med reef safe in that it does not harm corals? I agree it is not bad enough right now to go that way. I currently have 2 camel snails, and a lot of baby snails. I have been doing research on reefcleaners.org. I have found that there are lots of options for critters that eat hair algae and bubble algae.  

Yes, it's reef-safe. I've used it myself. But follow the instructions. It's normally advertised as targeting exclusively Derbesia (green hair algae) and Bryopsis but if others have had success with it against other nuissance algae (e.g., Valonia (bubble algae)), then that's a potential bonus.

8 hours ago, davjbeas said:

Is there a particular brand you recommend?

No. I got capsules years ago from an online pet supply place. I just searched back then and found a relatively good price, and it all worked out. It has a shelf-life, though, so I wouldn't just buy it and hold it. If you search, try googling "fluconazole 200 mg capsules aquarium" or something like that to avoid getting the human-use listings (which require a prescription). You can generally find the stuff for anywhere from over $1 to around $3 per 200 mg capsule, I think.

@davjbeas I hope you're not considering fluconazole yet. You've got quite a clean tank that really appears to be coming along. I doubt it would take much to knock out the remaining algae.  In 15 years of reefkeeping, I've only used it twice. Good husbandry handles the rest.

Beef up your CUC a bit, then wait. That’s nothing that can’t be tackled.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:13 PM, ReefdUp said:

@davjbeas I hope you're not considering fluconazole yet. You've got quite a clean tank that really appears to be coming along. I doubt it would take much to knock out the remaining algae.  In 15 years of reefkeeping, I've only used it twice. Good husbandry handles the rest.

Post #12 says he's not and that he's relying on his CUC at this point, which is what the consensus is. He was merely asking for more information about fluconazole for personal knowledge.

11 hours ago, Origami said:

Post #12 says he's not and that he's relying on his CUC at this point, which is what the consensus is. He was merely asking for more information about fluconazole for personal knowledge.

Good eye. 

I broke down a tank because of bryopsis. It was a 5 gallon nano, and I don't think at that stage the fluconazole solution was common knowledge. I later had bryopsis in my 22 gallon nano at the beginning. I used fluconazole, and followed instructions to a T, it took about a week and it took care of everything. This is the brand that I used. 

Thanks for al the attention. I decided to add 4 turbo snails and an emerald crab. I did blast the rocks and changed the filter socks on Friday.  

2 hours ago, davjbeas said:

Thanks for al the attention. I decided to add 4 turbo snails and an emerald crab. I did blast the rocks and changed the filter socks on Friday.  

:thumbsup:

Today I removed the protein skimmer to clean it. The skimmer had not been cleaned for several months.  I noticed that the output of the skimmer was very little which is not normal. There were 2 baby snails blocking 2 of the 4 holes where the pump intake is. Now the skimmer is functioning as it should.  

Today I removed the protein skimmer to clean it. The skimmer had not been cleaned for several months.  I noticed that the output of the skimmer was very little which is not normal. There were 2 baby snails blocking 2 of the 4 holes where the pump intake is. Now the skimmer is functioning as it should.  

I've had small collonistas get caught in my skimmer impellers but never in my intake. They do find a way sometimes, don't they?

Snails sure can get around. I am glad that the pump on the skimmer started back up. Sometimes pumps don't start up after being off for a bit.