What's Going On With My Euphyllia - Polyps Not Extending While Others Are

p3rmafrost

Hello Everyone -

I wanted to post a couple of pictures and see if anyone had any idea what might be going on with my euphyllia. I have a Frogspawn with 7 or so heads. They're all growing from the same stalk but the front 4 (see pics) are not extending. They've been this way for a few days. In the past they usually extend like the one in the back left of the pic. I did a water change recently but that didn't have an impact, no change in extension. They're still nicely colored and they seem to retract even further when they're fed so it appears they're grabbing food particles. Several folks on Reef2Reef mentioned they retract when they split but it would be odd for 4 heads to split at the same time, wouldn't it? I haven't checked my parameters this week but I don't think it's a water quality issue, if it was wouldn't they all retract? I haven't noticed anyone picking at them or irritating them and I check the tank fairly frequently. Anyone have any thoughts?

PXL_20230201_124115487.jpg

PXL_20230201_124127568.jpg

PXL_20230201_124124142.jpg

PXL_20230201_124119791.jpg

Heads split independently, so it would not be unusual. Other reasons for this mild retracted look could be and external irritant (nipping, another coral stinging, parasites or even irritating flow). Have you examined the heads carefully for any parasites like Euphyllua Eating Flatworms to eliminate that as a possibility?

Sent from my Note 10+5g using Tapatalk

I haven't removed it from the tank. Visual inspection didn't reveal anything except for the soft white tubes visible in the picture, I think those are feather duster worms. It's in a spot in the tank where no other corals can touch it with sweepers, so I don't think that's the case. Would flat worms come off with a dip? What should I be looking for? Are we talking tiny, crumb size pests or something that would be more easily visible? 

Try Googling Euphyllia Flatworms and you'll probably find pictures and maybe videos. A dip with somw agitation can probably easily dislodge them.

Sent from my Note 10+5g using Tapatalk

Well, happily I think I can rule out flatworms. It got a nice bath in a red sea dip and the only thing that came off was a couple mysis shrimp and some pods. No bad actors thankfully. Now they're grumpy and retracted. I'll check them in the morning. 

It does look like there's some splitting action going on as well as some new "buds" on the skeleton. I'm hoping they're just splitting. This is one of my bigger colonies (I know, it isn't even that big), I'd hate to lose it and start from a frag again. 

PXL_20230202_013822536.jpg

PXL_20230202_013917580.jpg

PXL_20230202_013834463.jpg

PXL_20230202_013913895.jpg

Sometimes they get irritated and take a little time to fully extend again. Looks like it has some healthy tissue growth down the skeleton so that’s a good sign. It’s good to monitor the tissue for signs of recession or damage from stress or parasites. In more extreme cases they can lose heads overnight. I believe mine had a bacterial issue a while back and I lost several torches, hammers and frogspawns. Looks like it settled a bit ago and I’m finally starting to restock again slowly.

Did you make any changes to your lighting or flow? What are your water parameters? I would also hold off on feeding it. IME I have found most Euphyllia and Fimbriaphyllia eat very little and can be irritated with too much feeding. Good water parameters and lighting, and fish poop is usually enough to keep them healthy and growing.

No changes to light or flow. Tank has been pretty steady for a while now. I thought it was odd that some heads on the same colony extend when others don't. They seemed to be doing well about a week ago. Today they're still pulled in pretty tight but they have nice color and don't appear to be distressed. There is no slime, they're not droopy and I don't see issues with the tissue. I guess I'll keep an eye on them and see what happens.