Rain soaked rock

xabo

Doing a reboot of my tank. Pulled the rock and did a muriatic acid bath, rinsed and left outside to dry for about a week. It's been raining the past couple of days and there's a prediction of snow. Filling the tank with rodi water and wondering if it's okay to put the wet rock into the tank or should I let dry?

Just think of it like the rock sitting in the quarries where the companies typically get dry rock. It all gets rained on. Just make sure there aren't critters, as mentioned. Worst case, rinse it off with some RO/DI. I wouldn't do anything more than that.

Was having issues with rocks leeching phosphates, dinos and red turf algae that I could not get rid of. Pulled all of the rock and soaked in muriatic acid for 6+ hours. Rinse the rock, set out to air dry. During this time the rock was rained on twice and snowed on once. 

Let the rock air dry again for 4 days. During all of this vacuumed the $h!* out of the sand bed and drains the tank of all water. Placed the rock into the tank(225 gals.) and dosed with 32 oz. of Turbo Start 900. Waited for water to clear and added fish this past Saturday. Today Seachem ammonia wheel shows zero and Hanna Nitrate HR shows 46 ppm.

Fish are swimming around, eating and looking fine. Do I wait for nitrates to drop or do a water change?

Unless you've got something setup for denitrification, I'd do the water change.  You want the ammonia gone, the nitrites minimal, but nitrates are the final stage before either conversion to nitrogen gas in some kinds of anoxic bacteria (think deep sand bed), or removed with a skimmer/scrubber/manually or through water changes.