Cyano in days old tank?

AndrewRyan

I am not really concerned, but a bit confused...

I have a 7-day old tank going through fishless cycle (Fritz Turbostart and Fishless Fuel).  Ammonia dosed to 2 ppm twice has dropped to zero rapidly both times, Nitrite has been pretty consistent at 1 ppm. Lights have not been turned on and the tank receives no direct sunlight.

As I'm inspecting the tank this morning, I notice some very tiny spots (2) of red "dust" collecting on one side of tank.  It's the side that receives less flow (I have ordered a 2nd Nero 3 and am waiting for it to come in).  Makes me think Cyano, but I wasn't expecting any bacteria/algae issues to develop this early without lights or livestock present.

Any thoughts?

I can send pictures when I get home, but it's honestly hard to see what with the lights off and all.

It could certainly be, it's one of those algaes that does well in low nutrient conditions, and any amount sunlight or bright room lights would be plenty to grow some - but where would it have come from?  Unless you have some equipment, rock, or livestock that arrived wet, I don't know where cyano could have been introduced from.  Sharing equipment (containers, nets, etc.) could also introduce it.

If it actually is dust - that it blows around as particulate - it's not cyano.  Cyano looks like a sort of dust or haze, but when it grows in it mats together and doesn't behave like a dust in the water.

When it comes to diagnosing algae/bacteria, I’m always willing to consider I have misdiagnosed but this looks a lot like the very earliest stages of Cyano from previous interaction.

As far as where it was introduced, I’m have no clue. The only thing I can think of that was introduced wet was Ocean Direct sand.

I’ll add some more flow to the tank and manually remove any more that pops up. I don’t think it’ll be an issue, just surprised to see it so early given the status of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New rock or old? Can it just be the very earliest stages of a diatom bloom, which is not uncommon in new tanks? Most of the time, diatoms will take on a golden to dark brown sort of look, but sometimes they can have a slightly reddish-brown tinge to them. Time normally resolves identification. In any case, riding itout is probably the best course of action. Just let it take up whatever it's finding to grow and siphon it out (manual nutrient export) if it doesn't go away on its own.

18 minutes ago, Origami said:

New rock or old?

It’s new rock (Carib Sea “Live”).

19 minutes ago, Origami said:

Most of the time, diatoms will take on a golden to dark brown sort of look, but sometimes they can have a slightly reddish-brown tinge to them.

I took some pictures to aid diagnoses.  I agree, whatever it is I’ll let it grow out and remove.  Not overly concerned, just doesn’t comport with my, albeit limited, understanding. No lights, nothing introduced, and only 7 days in…A1EA7010-6091-42A5-BFCE-126EFD5EC7C6.thumb.jpeg.522a09e0b0eaacd96819d3debe674d08.jpeg35EFFAFC-CDB2-45F1-9C08-52CD022704B2.thumb.jpeg.31f1fa06ebbf78e0ae404f1b7f1e0ee9.jpeg

New rock and new sand would make diatoms likely. But your pics show purple red on the sand like cyanobacteria. If you turn the lights off, does it disappear overnight? That would lean more toward cyanobacteria.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

New rock and new sand would make diatoms likely. But your pics show purple red on the sand like cyanobacteria. If you turn the lights off, does it disappear overnight? That would lean more toward cyanobacteria.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

I don’t have any lights on currently, other than ambient room lights during the day.

Kind of odd to have cyano so early considering how you started the tank. I'm wondering if something in Fritz Turbostart or Fishless Fuel is contributing....

Kind of odd to have cyano so early considering how you started the tank. I'm wondering if something in Fritz Turbostart or Fishless Fuel is contributing....

It is odd. I have one pump on the other side of the tank (which has clean sand) so I’m hoping adding another Nero 3 and the resulting flow will help. Given it’s a 2x2 tank, I was thinking one pump would suffice but I’ll be happy to have the flow options that come with two pumps.

Ha! It's hard to say, but it's backing off in the dark like it's cyano. If you jumpstarted your cycle with some product and it was dosed in excess of what any existing bacteria required, then it may have provided just enough for cyano to get started. Early in the hobby, we sometimes would start a tank using live rock and, through a process of monitoring the ammonia levels and big water changes, would keep the ammonia levels below 1 ppm peak. This was both to prevent a cascading die-off and to foster the development of a large number of aerobic bacteria (responsible for converting ammonia to nitrate). The anaerobic bacteria would then follow, but on a longer time scale. 

At this point, it may be worth it just to watch the tank a few days and, if you're dosing anything, maybe let up a bit. If you want to, you can wrap the tank in a blanket to further restrict the light, giving a chance for the bacteria to further develop. If you don't have any macro-life in the tank yet, you can try pushing the temperature up while shading the tank - that might speed up bacteria multiplication, too. But waiting and watching nature take its course is often the first course of action when the situation is not an emergency.

Ha! It's hard to say, but it's backing off in the dark like it's cyano. If you jumpstarted your cycle with some product and it was dosed in excess of what any existing bacteria required, then it may have provided just enough for cyano to get started. Early in the hobby, we sometimes would start a tank using live rock and, through a process of monitoring the ammonia levels and big water changes, would keep the ammonia levels below 1 ppm peak. This was both to prevent a cascading die-off and to foster the development of a large number of aerobic bacteria (responsible for converting ammonia to nitrate). The anaerobic bacteria would then follow, but on a longer time scale. 

At this point, it may be worth it just to watch the tank a few days and, if you're dosing anything, maybe let up a bit. If you want to, you can wrap the tank in a blanket to further restrict the light, giving a chance for the bacteria to further develop. If you don't have any macro-life in the tank yet, you can try pushing the temperature up while shading the tank - that might speed up bacteria multiplication, too. But waiting and watching nature take its course is often the first course of action when the situation is not an emergency.

I’m going to go with the “watch and wait” course. At this point, nothing is in danger and it’s interesting enough to watch something happening in the tank. I’m realizing it’s easier to rule out what didn’t happen then decide conclusively what did.

Thanks for weighing in!

Also, you mentioned about adding flow. Adding flow doesn't solve the cyano problem. It just keeps things suspended in the water column for it to be filtered out. I do think that the tank will want another PH to get some mixed flow patterns.

Also, you mentioned about adding flow. Adding flow doesn't solve the cyano problem. It just keeps things suspended in the water column for it to be filtered out. I do think that the tank will want another PH to get some mixed flow patterns.

That’s interesting, I had heard that low flow sections of the tank will be more time to cyano accumulation. Manual removal, water changes… anything else to consider if it gets out of hand?

1 hour ago, AndrewRyan said:

That’s interesting, I had heard that low flow sections of the tank will be more time to cyano accumulation. Manual removal, water changes… anything else to consider if it gets out of hand?

That is true. Cyano will be allowed to settle in low flow areas, just like detritus, fish food, etc.... What Tom suggested is what I'd suggest. Since your fishes are in a QT tank, you can do a proper fishless cycle and dont need those juices.

• 2 weeks later...

The tiny specks of purple were coming off the rock and coming to rest on the sand? That explains why light didn't seem to affect it and, yet, it was purple! Kind of funny, actually.