Bubble elgea

Kaiser

After year all the sudden in my reef rock scapes showing dark green bubble elgea

i had try manually remove take the affected rocks out of the tanks but can’t control them, it keep growing here and there on the rocks ,, not sure what is the main cause the elgea keep growing 

my water perimeter is 

nitra- 10

phos- 08

alk- 9

cal- 440

meg-1420

ph -8

Lights cycle 10 hours 

if anyone knows please give me advice 

There is also a lesser known specie, the Pitho Crab who is said to like bubble algae.

I am seeing that its either the males or females emeralds that prefer the BA? anyone else seen or heard that?

Also I've always been intrigued about the popping of the bubble algae that creates the spread? I am sure the emeralds pop them? Also?

B.

Edited by rrubberbandman

If your tank is big enough, some tangs and rabbit fish eat them. My yellow tang destroys them. 

also, fighting algae thru nutrient control isn’t always a good idea because you’ll starve algae and coral at the same time. 

Edited by nburg

Has no one had negative experience w Emerald crabs? I haven't experienced this myself but have heard stories / seen pictures of them chowing down on some (sometimes very expense) LPS, which has made me swear them off purely out of an abundance of caution

I 2nd the Emerald Crabs....

52 minutes ago, cdw79 said:

Has no one had negative experience w Emerald crabs? I haven't experienced this myself but have heard stories / seen pictures of them chowing down on some (sometimes very expense) LPS, which has made me swear them off purely out of an abundance of caution

I've only heard this...never experienced this.

On 12/26/2022 at 9:28 AM, rrubberbandman said:

There is also a lesser known specie, the Pitho Crab who is said to like bubble algae.

I am seeing that its either the males or females emeralds that prefer the BA? anyone else seen or heard that?

Also I've always been intrigued about the popping of the bubble algae that creates the spread? I am sure the emeralds pop them? Also?

B.

The pitho will eat bubble algae. Emerald crabs are more common. 

I don't think it's the gender of the crab, I have used reef breeders for about the past decade

image.thumb.png.4bc66d025cd3534098237cfbed4542b2.png

I think there's something to do with the size of the spores/size of the bubble algae and it's ability to spread, there was a discussion on it a long long long time ago. 

16 hours ago, nburg said:

If your tank is big enough, some tangs and rabbit fish eat them. My yellow tang destroys them. 

I had a purple tang that loved bubble algae, was great! 

14 hours ago, cdw79 said:

I have never experienced this myself. correlation does not equal causation. All speculation on my end, so with a grain of salt, but I'd be more inclined to believe that the crabs are going after algae on the coral, or stealing food out of it (ever tried to feed LPS with shrimp around?!)

image.png.466d175c3115c3b372afc85a1892779d.png

23 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I have never experienced this myself. correlation does not equal causation. All speculation on my end, so with a grain of salt, but I'd be more inclined to believe that the crabs are going after algae on the coral, or stealing food out of it (ever tried to feed LPS with shrimp around?!)

image.gif.4e14059cce6e924d58c66928102d9bbd.gif
my favorite correlation =/= causation: decline in pirates causes climate change

My only issue is emerald crabs don’t live more than a year in my tank… but I did have several fish that may slowly pick them off. Otherwise great addition to CUC

Edited by nburg

23 minutes ago, nburg said:

image.gif.4e14059cce6e924d58c66928102d9bbd.gif
my favorite correlation =/= causation: decline in pirates causes climate change

This is good stuff

4 hours ago, YHSublime said:

The pitho will eat bubble algae. Emerald crabs are more common. 

I don't think it's the gender of the crab, I have used reef breeders for about the past decade

image.thumb.png.4bc66d025cd3534098237cfbed4542b2.png

I think there's something to do with the size of the spores/size of the bubble algae and it's ability to spread, there was a discussion on it a long long long time ago. 

I had a purple tang that loved bubble algae, was great! 

image.png.466d175c3115c3b372afc85a1892779d.png

Sublime,

When youve used ReefCleaners did you utilize their free shipping , which is not overnight....and if so did everything arrive healthy?

38 minutes ago, rrubberbandman said:

Sublime,

When youve used ReefCleaners did you utilize their free shipping , which is not overnight....and if so did everything arrive healthy?

Most times. If you get anything outside of the free shipping parameters that does require overnight, then you have to pay it. For the most part, everything has been OK, with the occasional losses. Over covid times I know John had trouble with delivery's getting delayed, and when I did have a pretty big loss due to it, he refunded. He also advised me that I should pay for the overnight shipping. That's when I started trying other companies for CUC, as most others will ship overnight free if you spend up to a price point, but I haven't found anything that matches RC's quality of product yet. 

16 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Most times. If you get anything outside of the free shipping parameters that does require overnight, then you have to pay it. For the most part, everything has been OK, with the occasional losses. Over covid times I know John had trouble with delivery's getting delayed, and when I did have a pretty big loss due to it, he refunded. He also advised me that I should pay for the overnight shipping. That's when I started trying other companies for CUC, as most others will ship overnight free if you spend up to a price point, but I haven't found anything that matches RC's quality of product yet. 

Good deal!

Fwiw I recently ordered some inverts from saltwateraquarium.com and they were all huge and healthy. The emerald crabs were among the largest I have seen. I ordered a bunch of stuff that arrived great and they included extra snails,  but my only gripe was I ordered 5 Mexican turbos but got 3 Mexican turbos and 3 zebra turbos.