Anywhere local keep large tanks in stock? May need a tank swap sooner than later!

nburg

I was just reading about someone having a front panel seam break on a RedSea Reefer - not the same model as my 450, but not the first RedSea tank I have read about busting at the seam. With my tank being 4, almost 5 years old, I decided to look over my seams pretty thoroughly just in case. From the front, the all look perfect, BUT one of the seals on the bottom makes me nervous.

So dead center of the front panel where most of the pressure would be, the seem from the bottom pane to the front, has a slight, what I may call a crevasse in the silicone. It's pretty small difference, but its only in the dead center of the tank and you can only see it because the light comes through just a little more than anywhere else. I am not sure if it's the silicone starting to pull away from the edge, or just a coincidental anomaly... but being on the 5th floor with 100+ gallons of saltwater... I don't want to tank the chance of having to apologize to dozens of people living next to me or below me. This situation is a little more risk than I am comfortable with so I think I just want to mitigate that risk with a better built, top braced tank. 

Is there any local stores that sell larger tanks in stock? I am not sure I want to wait to have something custom made or ordered from a manufacturer? Ideally, a standard size 125g reef ready would be perfect for me. 

Edited by nburg

I know that Nova Tropicals usually has big tanks in stock. However, you might want to give them a call first to see what they have in stock. I hope you find one soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it like bubbling? Is it at the side closest to water or the dry side? Do you have a picture of it? I know some manufacturers will say that some bubbling is normal.

Not the best pic it,  It looks like it’s at the bevel of the front glass only, but it’s dead center of the front panel. 

from the front? The seal looks perfect, but under where the front glass attaches to the bottom pane. Could have been like this since I got it in 2018, or could be recent… either way, it’s bothering me.

also with Red Sea’s response to those tanks that do give way, I wouldn’t trust what they say anyways. 

5C264967-9293-4862-9E5A-CCC3EB89022E.jpeg

1 hour ago, nburg said:

Not the best pic it,  It looks like it’s at the bevel of the front glass only, but it’s dead center of the front panel. 

from the front? The seal looks perfect, but under where the front glass attaches to the bottom pane. Could have been like this since I got it in 2018, or could be recent… either way, it’s bothering me.

also with Red Sea’s response to those tanks that do give way, I wouldn’t trust what they say anyways. 

5C264967-9293-4862-9E5A-CCC3EB89022E.jpeg

Hard for us to see but this is a case of whatever gives you piece of mind. 

Actually talked it over with the wife and we are going to end up rearranging and swapping out some furniture, which makes it a good time to upgrade tanks and set up a new tank in a different spot. With that, I can get a deeper tank which makes me actually want to upgrade now. Problem before was there was not enough room for anything deeper (front to back) than a 20". With the new spot, I can go 30", so I may try and find a 60"x30" tank. 

30 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Hard for us to see but this is a case of whatever gives you piece of mind. 

If I was to put money on it, I would bet a lot that nothing would happen, but that small chance will likely have me up at night or panicking every time the dishwasher empties the tub, lol.