Best alternative to quarantine?

Abelc14

What should I use to condition and treat fish BESIDES formalin and methalyne blue? What are the best options out there? I can not quarantine, dips and baths accepted as well. 

Lots of things besides formalin and methylene blue, but I don't think many folks will have advice for you if you say you can't quarantine.  Quarantine is the answer.  Dips are for corals, not really fish aside for a couple of situations.

With three buckets and three airstones and heaters you can do the tank transfer method of quarantine and be done with it relatively quickly.  It's not foolproof but is pretty good.

(edited)
2 hours ago, AlanM said:

Lots of things besides formalin and methylene blue, but I don't think many folks will have advice for you if you say you can't quarantine.  Quarantine is the answer.  Dips are for corals, not really fish aside for a couple of situations.

With three buckets and three airstones and heaters you can do the tank transfer method of quarantine and be done with it relatively quickly.  It's not foolproof but is pretty good.

How do I do that tank transfer method of quarantine? Link?

Edited by Abelc14

I go by what Humblefish does.

Main link to how-to's

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?information/#quarantine_resources

Link to Tank Transfer Method (TTM):

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/tank-transfer-method-all-versions.6800/

I do the Hybrid TTM for all my fish that don't come from a known pre-quarantined source. It's pretty easy and straightforward. I just use 5-gallon buckets and airstones (throw the airstones out after single use).

I also put together a spreadsheet to help with the dosing, figuring out timing, etc. Have attached it here.

Hybrid TTM Worksheet (1).xlsx

Edited by cpeguero

Those are good links.  I also think buying from a good fish store that handles the QT is the best.  The risk of fish loss is all on them in that case, but be ok with paying more for the fish because they have much higher costs holding them so long and losing some of them.  It evens out, though, because you'd essentially be paying more for them and spending way more trouble at home anyway.