help!. Red Sea 525xl bulkhead broke.

FrontosaTony

I just bought a used red sea 525xl and when I tried to hook back up the bulk head through the tank to the overflow was still leaking. I tightened it more and the thread underside mostly broke off. Anyone know how / if you can replace them?

or other way to replace them!

I got 100 gal of water, bunch of live rock and a 3 fish who can’t go in till it’s fixed

help please

tony

Edited by FrontosaTony

• FrontosaTony changed the title to help!. Red Sea 525xl bulkhead broke.

I would contact Red Sea, they do sell replacement parts for their stuff.  If it looks like a standard part (like a standard bulkhead) you likely could get something branded differently, but IIRC, they use metric fittings, so it may be difficult to source the exact right size in the US.

Thanks! I ended up getting it tight enough so it’s a slow leak into the sump but couldn’t put the nut back on which worries me long term. Tank is filled and fish are At least happy, yay. At least it’s leaking into the sump.

still will look if the part can be replaced or I can swap for a diff bulk head. 

Thanks for the help!

Thanks! was thinking of siliconing it. I found they have replacement orings that look larger and less warn than what I have so I ordered them. Im going to swap them out and silicone the broken one. I think the nut that broke only keeps the through pipe from backing out and loosening the Oring seal. 

Thanks for all the help everyone! Wamas rocks

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2022 at 2:47 PM, FrontosaTony said:

Thanks! was thinking of siliconing it. I found they have replacement orings that look larger and less warn than what I have so I ordered them. Im going to swap them out and silicone the broken one. I think the nut that broke only keeps the through pipe from backing out and loosening the Oring seal. 

Thanks for all the help everyone! Wamas rocks

Did you get this fixed?  Swapping the o-ring seals will usually fix your original problem.  As for the broken nut (if I understand the part correctly), you’ll have to buy the particular tailpipe assembly as the nut is not sold separately.  It’ll probably be best to search Red Sea’s website (under support) for the exact part, then enter the part number on Amazon.  The other option would be going through one of their dealers (could also be found on the website).

4 hours ago, DFR said:

Did you get this fixed?  Swapping the o-ring seals will usually fix your original problem.  As for the broken nut (if I understand the part correctly), you’ll have to buy the particular tailpipe assembly as the nut is not sold separately.  It’ll probably be best to search Red Sea’s website (under support) for the exact part, then enter the part number on Amazon.  The other option would be going through one of their dealers (could also be found on the website).

I bought some orings but it was not leaking much and I couldn’t get the pipe back out. I plan to do that another day. Looks to me as if the nut, actually the threads are the broken part, are part of the base plate and siliconed in so not sure there is a part or an easy to replace part. Once I replace the orings I plan to silicone the nut in place, which ought to hold it enough. Thanks for asking!

• 2 weeks later...

If you need to cross that bridge, you can remove the whole triple “bulkhead” and replace with 3x 1” standard bulkheads.

upside- you can use non proprietary junk gate valve for drain, customize with equipment as you like.

downside, time and effort or $ to do it.