Care for my clownfish? Temp Sitting clownfish

thewire

Is there anyone can take care of my clownfish when I am out of the country for 3 weeks? I can bring my clown to your house. She has been living by herself since 6 months when her mate die due to power outage in my house. 

I have her for almost 2 years

From 11/29 to 12/22 or 23

Edited by thewire

If no one able to take care of her during my vacation, any place willing to do it? Anyone know? 

Have you thought about having somebody come by to check on the fish a few times a week? Moving a tank into somebody's home seems a bit extreme and disruptive. And asking to move a fish into somebody else's tank seems even more so. Do you have an autofeeder? An auto-topoff with a reservoir of sufficient capacity? These can help ease over even fairly prolonged absences - a couple of weeks easily and more in many cases. But you just can't cut over and run out. You have to ensure that the setup is running smoothly and reliably. I understand that power outages are a risk and that's just something you'll have to gauge as you seek a solution. 

Having somebody (you trust) nearby who can check on your tank (at your home) once or twice a week, and who can contact you if there's something amiss is also good. Then, line up somebody with more experience to serve as backup in the event that something does go wrong.

23 hours ago, Origami said:

Have you thought about having somebody come by to check on the fish a few times a week? Moving a tank into somebody's home seems a bit extreme and disruptive. And asking to move a fish into somebody else's tank seems even more so. Do you have an autofeeder? An auto-topoff with a reservoir of sufficient capacity? These can help ease over even fairly prolonged absences - a couple of weeks easily and more in many cases. But you just can't cut over and run out. You have to ensure that the setup is running smoothly and reliably. I understand that power outages are a risk and that's just something you'll have to gauge as you seek a solution. 

Having somebody (you trust) nearby who can check on your tank (at your home) once or twice a week, and who can contact you if there's something amiss is also good. Then, line up somebody with more experience to serve as backup in the event that something does go wrong.

I was planning to move the fish only :) The corals can survive on their own with ATO and auto light. I am good with the tank. It's just the fish. 

If your vacation is still a few weeks off, I'd suggest at least planning on getting an autofeeder set up in case you're unable to find somebody to hold the fish (e.g., in quarantine) for you.

(edited)
23 hours ago, Origami said:

If your vacation is still a few weeks off, I'd suggest at least planning on getting an autofeeder set up in case you're unable to find somebody to hold the fish (e.g., in quarantine) for you.

Worst case scenario. Do you think I should only feed 1 fish every 3-4 days? I have someone to feed it. But that's only thing the person can do. Feed, and make sure ATO is not running empty. I have even a battery powered air pump in the even of power lost. But definitely would be ideal to have someone to hold it for me. Heck I bring an empty 10g lol 

Edited by thewire

If that's what you can get, support-wise, feeding every 3 or 4 days should be fine. Just feed heavy (e.g., several times a day) for a week or so before your trip. I'd be willing to serve as backup, but I'm heading out myself for a couple of weeks. 

9 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Just get an auto feeder, they will be fine.

My recommendation, too. But, if the tank only has a single, small occupant, dial the amount fed back accordingly. I've always liked my Eheim every day auto feeder. I used it with a feeding ring (so non-sinking food didn't head straight for the overflow). 

If you do wind up in a situation where you've got somebody coming in, lay out a few small "Dixie" cups and portion out the amount of food that your friend will feed. Label the cups, too. This helps to manage the situation so they're not overfeeding. This is what I did years ago when I left on business trips and left my wife and youngest daughter home and left the younger one in charge of feeding (she loved it). 

cheers everyone! 

Heavy feeding a week prior to leaving, and water change as well 

• 1 month later...

Well, I can report that it was a successful trip and the fish and tank survived lol

The fish is feed like total of 8 times (in the span of 21 days), minimal food. I have a big top of bottle. 2 50% water changes a week and 2 days prior. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 8:08 PM, howaboutme said:

That's great to hear! Going away is always a point of stress so glad you are free and clear.

Thanks! 

I know that there are a lot of questions the first time you go away like this. So kudos to you for your (and your tank's) success!