Mantis question

Newfishgirl

Hey guys I’m hoping someone can help me. I’ve had several mantis shrimp over the years, but this is the first time one has acted like this. I bought a Chigra about 2 weeks back. I put him in my sump with some live rock and he was really active, but I haven’t seen him eat anything since 10/21. He liked to hide in my filter sock chamber. I figured he was just unhappy with his new home so Yesterday I set up a new tank for him. Put live sand in, but the water was from the main tank along with his rocks. He is currently hiding in his cave, but has his pereipods up in the air on one side, and fanning his pieopods.

Does anyone know if this is a sign of getting ready to molt or do you think he’s dying? He is full grown so I know at this point my time is borrowed since Chigras only live 2-7 years.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the mantis I have had have been very sociable and out and about if I am. What are you feeding? How do you know it hasn't eaten? 

Did you test the water in your new setup? Seems like it will be a wait and see situation. 

All the levels are at zero. I have added 3 hermits, 2 snails and tried to feed him krill and fresh shrimp, which my peacock loves, and he just leaves it on the sand. The fact that I could hold him makes me nervous. My female peacock is social and she will climb my hand and I can rub her shell which she likes, but NEVER, have any of them let me pick them up and move them which is making me nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...