Pump stuck in back chamber help, Please!

Dell

Hello,

I have IM Nuvo 40g that I replaced the pump a couple of years ago. The new pump was slightly bigger then the stock pump and when I put it in it was too big so it had to be tilted/lowered in and then I could screw on the return hose. The pump would not go in with the return hose attached and facing in the right direction. So, I put the pump in, screwed on the return tube with my hand/arm down in the chamber. When it came time to service the pump I could not unscrew the return tube from the pump (at the base of the pump in the chamber with my hand down it) to get the tube off. The tube has to come off before the pump can come out. The chamber is about 20inches deep. At first I thought it was just stuck or I wasn't strong enough so I had a guy (big guy) friend come over and he couldn't unscrew it either. Fast forward to a year later and the pump really needs to be cleaned and almost has no flow at all. Not surprising at all. My question is - Does anyone have any ideas that I'm not thinking of? My first thought was get someone stronger to help, that didn't work. My second thought is to cut the intake tub off and replace it. But does any one have any ideas on how to go about that safety and/or tool suggestion? The space is so limited and the chamber is all glass. I couldn't get my hand plus a wrench or something down there. The tank is not empty, it is up and running -  just poorly.

Thanks,

Dell

Try draining the rear chambers and filling it with vinegar and let the pump soak. Then pump the water out using the pump to help clean it up. That might loosen it and clean it at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Dell said:

Hello,

I have IM Nuvo 40g that I replaced the pump a couple of years ago. The new pump was slightly bigger then the stock pump and when I put it in it was too big so it had to be tilted/lowered in and then I could screw on the return hose. The pump would not go in with the return hose attached and facing in the right direction. So, I put the pump in, screwed on the return tube with my hand/arm down in the chamber. When it came time to service the pump I could not unscrew the return tube from the pump (at the base of the pump in the chamber with my hand down it) to get the tube off. The tube has to come off before the pump can come out. The chamber is about 20inches deep. At first I thought it was just stuck or I wasn't strong enough so I had a guy (big guy) friend come over and he couldn't unscrew it either. Fast forward to a year later and the pump really needs to be cleaned and almost has no flow at all. Not surprising at all. My question is - Does anyone have any ideas that I'm not thinking of? My first thought was get someone stronger to help, that didn't work. My second thought is to cut the intake tub off and replace it. But does any one have any ideas on how to go about that safety and/or tool suggestion? The space is so limited and the chamber is all glass. I couldn't get my hand plus a wrench or something down there. The tank is not empty, it is up and running -  just poorly.

Thanks,

Dell

Can you not just pull the nozzles off from the front and pull the pump out with the tubing attached? At least that's how I do it in my IM 25g Lagoon (with stock pump). Maybe pictures can help visualize the problem a little better. Not sure how you need to unscrew the return tube.

2 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

Can you not just pull the nozzles off from the front and pull the pump out with the tubing attached? At least that's how I do it in my IM 25g Lagoon (with stock pump). Maybe pictures can help visualize the problem a little better. Not sure how you need to unscrew the return tube.

No, I can’t. The pump is not stock and slightly bigger. It had to be lowered in side ways and ensembled to the tubing once in the chamber.  It does not fit ensembled, that’s the problem - once it was esembled in the chamber I can’t un ensemble it.  

Dell, any luck with this?

It's possible that the plastic has swelled, locking the threaded nozzle in. I donk know if there's room, but if you could thread a pvc cable saw (available at HD for under $10) around the nozzle, you may be able to cut it off, giving enough room to remove it. This is destructive, though.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk