Chiller questions

rottloverr

(edited)

Hello WAMAS,

I'm in the works for starting up a new in wall system. It will be a 250g DD, 51 g sump, 40 g refugium and 30 g frag tank. For a total of around 370 gallons give or take.

What size chiller should I get? and what brands are recommended?  I know they are expensive but I'd rather just get one and be prepared in case i need it. I'm thinking I'd like to also go 1 size larger than needed. I'm looking at getting a inline chiller.

Once everything is ready to go I will start a build thread.

Sean

Edited by rottloverr

Unless you plan on running metal halides or don't a/c the space all the equipment will be in you will probably be fine.

I'll be using (2) 400 watt MH. Regardless of the A/C, equipment (most of my pumps will be external) and other factors I've decided to get one just to be on the safe side.

You will want to get the biggest one your budget will afford. That way it will not have to struggle and constantly run Which will keep the longevity. As far as brand I don't know as I've never needed a chiller.

(edited)

You would probably need at a 1/2HP Chiller. I am personally a fan of tradewind chillers. I have been running a 1/4HP one for over 5 years on my last two setups and never had any issues with it.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/tradewind-1-4-horsepower-inline-chiller

Edited by wildcrazyjoker81

wildcrazyjoker81 - Is your advice on the 1/2 one size bigger? Or should I bump it up to a 3/4? I really want to get the size right for obvious reasons.

I havent heard of Tradewind, I'll check them out. I've read a lot good things about JBJ

Dual controller? Do I need that if I'm using a Apex?

wildcrazyjoker81 - Is your advice on the 1/2 one size bigger? Or should I bump it up to a 3/4? I really want to get the size right for obvious reasons.

I havent heard of Tradewind, I'll check them out. I've read a lot good things about JBJ

Dual controller? Do I need that if I'm using a Apex?

1/2 depends on chiller brand obviously as you probably have read. I personally think 3/4 would be a bit overkill, but it all depends on room temp too. If the tank is in a basement no way would I up to a bigger chiller. JBJ is a great brand too. I went with tradewinds because they are typically more of a commercial product vice consumer. Kinda like buying a commercial mower that is designed to take more of a beating than others. You don't have to use a controller at all if your going to use your apex. I like it as a secondary failsafe personally. It is a Ranco controller for what it is worth.

I second that you probably won't need one. I have two 500w heaters in my 125. One is on almost year round. Is tank going in basement? Will the MH fixtures be in a canopy? We don't even use A/c in the house unless it gets in the upper 80s but the basement always stays cool. A tank can get up to 83 without worry possibly warmer. Sorry to bring this up again since you want to be safe it's probably safer to have one.

wildcrazyjoker81 It will be in the basement and I'll have a dedicated fish room for everything. The MH will be in a open area except the cabinet doors to gain access from the front. I will have fans blowing across the pendants as well as a whole house air exchanger hooked to a thermostat. So humid air will be pushed outside while fresh air pushed inside. I like the idea of Tradewinds being a more commercial product. Thank you for that heads up.

gmerek2 Like I said above the tank will be in the basement. There will be a open custom rack holding the pendants and ecotech lights for supplemental lighting.

Thank you for all the comments and information. Please chime in if you have ideas.

Look up on you tube. DIY king then go to the make your own chiller video. It's a really great way to safe money if you think you could do it