Tale of two tanks.

So after a tank crash this summer from a malfunctioning skimmer and then a mini crash from a fish slowly decomposing under my sand bed I decided that I needed to refocus a bit. My 90 gal setup was primarily a seahorse tank, I added some SPS with a bit of interesting balance act going on to keep it seahorse safe but it was difficult and again as primarily a seahorse tank that consideration came first. So with the consent of my wife I purchased a 29 gallon bio cube that I will move my seahorses into and then totally overhaul my 90 gal setup.

Here is the story and pics as I go about this.

Bought the intermediate JBJ 29g biocube. I went with the bicube because I wanted an all-in-one tank that was taller rather than longer because I had a corner in the dining room that I wanted to place it in and seahorses prefer the taller tank rather than longer. Got a good deal on Fosters and Smith that included the stand for free. The intermediate version means it comes with LEDs instead of the normal CFL's. Honestly I went this route to avoid heat problems that people have had with the CFL version. So far I've been very happy with it, no heat issues at all. Unfortunately the tiny skimmer I have that would have fit in an IM tank does not fit in the JBJ cube, irony is that the IM desktop skimmer will, so have to spend money I didn't really want to on a IM desktop skimmer.

Initial setup in our dining room, which I like as it will be seen much more often.

post-2632423-0-29617100-1424728173_thumb.jpg

So then this weekend I got one of the large center piece rock constructs from my 90G DT moved into it along with some sand. I'll be moving my turtle grass and more sand soon and then once that is done I'll move the seahorses and my firefish over to it.

post-2632423-0-70382700-1424728119_thumb.jpg

post-2632423-0-20253800-1424728140_thumb.jpg

So that's it so far. I may try and move the turtle grass this week if I have time. If anyone is interested in some turtle grass message me, I will have a bunch of it left over as I have far more in my 90G than will ever fit into my biocube.

Very cool. Interested to see how it goes as a seahorse tank, I might keep mine and do that when all is said and done. So what happens to the 90?'

The 90G is still going minus some sand and that big rock. Once I get the seahorses and my firefish out my remaining goby and 4 pajama cardinals will go into the 20 gallon frag tank I have plumbed into my sump. I'll clean up and redo the 90 gal and then move everyone back. I'll likely pick up some new fish for the 90G too since I don't need to worry about keeping the seahorses safe. Will be a lot of research since I've never really done much on fish that were not seahorse safe. Maybe a flame angel as I just love the look but again no idea what their care requirements are.

So got more gravel moved and transplanted some of my turtle grass. Just about ready to move the seahorses over and start taking apart my 90G DT.

post-2632423-0-41616700-1424987493_thumb.jpg

post-2632423-0-92368000-1424987523_thumb.jpg

The zoas close sometimes if the seahorse decides to sit on them for a while but the branch they are on is a bit to big for the seahorses to really grab onto so it doesn't happen often.

Seahorses, their feeding dish, and a bit more of the seagrass moved over. 29G cube is all done, now it's time to start tearing down the 90 G.

post-2632423-0-50084600-1425246730_thumb.jpg

post-2632423-0-62085100-1425246758_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

90g was taken apart and rescaped. Got the gobies and pajama cardinals back in.

post-2632423-0-63523000-1427940666_thumb.jpg

Not sure I like the placement of the magnetic rocks on the back wall so I may move that around some but we'll see. I have more cleaning crew arriving tomorrow and I'll be giving the tank a couple months to settle in since I added some new live rock and some new dry rock before getting corals again. The clove corals and palys survived the transition well though. Also thinking I may get a bit more rock for the left side of the tank.

I'm thinking of getting a fairy wrasse or flame angel for the tank since it's kind of lightly stocked right now with just the cardinals and gobies.