Hydor Koralia or Tunze Nano Stream.....

steveoutlaw

I'm going to need some flow options for my nano tank. I'm considering either the Hydor Koralia or Tunze Nano Stream. The Tunze looked like the option for me.......until I saw that it would cost $600 for 2 of them on a controller. Are the Koralias controllable?

This tank is not going to have an overflow. It will be using a hang on skimmer and a hang on refugium so all of the flow will be in-tank flow. Suggestions?

Steve,

I use the Koralias in my 46G, and although technically not a nano, the tank is set up just like you will be setting up yours (with the hob skimmer and fuge).

I love the Koralias.....their flow is very dispersed, and if you point them at each other (or bounce the flow off the front glass) they provide a natural "wave" action in the tank.

They are also almost infinitely adjustable, and the suction/magnet combo to attach them is very slick.

Some people think they are bulky, but I like the way they look.

And the price is definitely a winner!! If you buy them and don't like them, they won't be hard to sell.

Tracy

Same here. Love Koralia. Don't have Tunze to compare between the two. Tunze prices out of my range.

I have two of the small Hydor Koralias in my 20L frag tank and they work great. I have them controlled by my ACIII with no problems. The larger Koralia is in my main tank and I find it doesn't work as well on the controller. I only trun it on in the morning and let it run all day then have it turn off at night.

I'm going to need some flow options for my nano tank. I'm considering either the Hydor Koralia or Tunze Nano Stream. The Tunze looked like the option for me.......until I saw that it would cost $600 for 2 of them on a controller. Are the Koralias controllable?

This tank is not going to have an overflow. It will be using a hang on skimmer and a hang on refugium so all of the flow will be in-tank flow. Suggestions?

My Koralia-4's start kind of hard and sudden. I don't think they would work on a controller of any sort. I have a couple of the 4's, and I have a Tunze 6045; both claim to move about 1200 GPH of water. The Koralia has higher velocity; and seems to push water further away. It also seems to be slightly 'random' in the direction of the flow. The Tunze is smooth as silk; with a very even flow over a smaller area. On the other hand, Byron cranked up a larger Tunze in their top-down coral tank the other day, and it seemed to have a TON of velocity. (I won't cover the discussion which followed about whether you should point it toward the surface or straight out to move the most water).

Point: The magnet on the Koralia-4 is BARELY strong enough to hold it in place through the thick glass of the 240. Haven't tried the Tunze in there, yet. (Yes, the water is deep enough now that I can move it around with the Koralia-4).

bob

Koralias can't be controlled. Very hard start, sometimes even getting stuck.

I have a K2 in my 15. It's almost too much flow, so I have it sitting in a back corner on the bottom, pointed straight up. Still a heck of a current, and really nice wave motion with just that one and a minijet in the opposite corner pointed up.

The only downside is that they're kinda big. But Tunze is SOOO expensive (and getting more expensive in January, if I remember correctly)

Forgot to mention that I had 2 of the Koralia 4s. I also have 2 of the 6025s and 2 of the 6055s. If you're going with a nano tank, 2 of the 6025s would be more than enough for your needs, maybe even just one. I ended up selling the Koralias because I just like the Tunzes better. The Koralias were restricted in the angles you can have as compared to the Tunzes, and the Tunzes give a full "wall" of water movement as compared to the "V" shaped path of the Koralias. With all that said, I think you'd be happy with whatever route you tank. Both are good pumps.