3ft UV sterilizer installation ideas.

Almoe

I picked up a used UV light and I want to plum it effectively. Not sure if it matters whether vertically or horizontally installed.

And is it necessary to install on return or drain line?

Thank you WAMAS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the most common configuration is on a sort of closed loop - a tap off of a manifold or something.  Basically, you want to be able to dial in the flow as exactly as possible to control UV dosage to what passes through, so connecting it inline with a return would mean that adjusting UV dosage would require adjusting return flow.  I don't think there's particular draining or immersion requirements (maybe try the unit's manual, probably available online), but I would personally mount mine so that it drains when the pump is off or disconnected and make it less messy to service.

Probably the most common configuration is on a sort of closed loop - a tap off of a manifold or something.  Basically, you want to be able to dial in the flow as exactly as possible to control UV dosage to what passes through, so connecting it inline with a return would mean that adjusting UV dosage would require adjusting return flow.  I don't think there's particular draining or immersion requirements (maybe try the unit's manual, probably available online), but I would personally mount mine so that it drains when the pump is off or disconnected and make it less messy to service.

Appreciate your prompt response. And I have looked up the manufacturer recommended installation instructions and gathering materials now so I can get her plumed up!!

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I didn't install my sterilizer inline. I actually just placed a pump in the section of my sump that has my heater. The pump sends the water up into the sterilizer and it returns down into the chamber of the sump with the return pump. So the water is sterilized prior to returning to main tank.

Edited by reeferindc