To cover or not to cover?

Hey all,

so...I'm running the 20 gallon high tank, back in the day I ran uncovered and of course I had lost a few fish due to being jumpers. What options do I have for covering the tank but hopefully not reducing my t-5 fixtures efficiency? Is there a magical way to cover that helps with evaporation and jumpers but doesnt cut down on my light penetration? ( I am running sumpless )

Thanks!

Nothing short of a glass top.

what are you having in the tank?

Dont be so afraid of the evaporation.  It is the solution to dosing KALk especially if you are growing lots of sticks

Using a clear mesh like the DIY kits is not going to be a big difference in light reaching the tank and will keep things in, I'd use it.

20 hours ago, menglish said:

Nothing short of a glass top.

what are you having in the tank?

Dont be so afraid of the evaporation.  It is the solution to dosing KALk especially if you are growing lots of sticks

Right now FOWLR. May be adding some soft corals later. So...glass tops are ok?

20 hours ago, DaJMasta said:

Using a clear mesh like the DIY kits is not going to be a big difference in light reaching the tank and will keep things in, I'd use it.

I'll look into those.

Thanks!

If the tank is FOWLR, then a glass top would work.

You can make your own mesh top, plenty of folks run them. You will still be able to grow corals just fine.

Thanks everyone! right now and for the foreseeable future I am just FOWLR. My concern with glass top was restricting gas exchange. I would mianly use this while out of town to control evaporation and until I find a ATO that allows me to run my water level above the plastic rim of the tank. (never been a fan of seeing the water level)

THANKS AGAIN!