Leak coming from overflow box

cpastwik

I have a 250 plumbed as a bean animal system, where the wier from inside the tank connects to the external overflow there are two schedule 80 bulkheads, it appears there is a small slow drip coming from one of these bulkheads, I tightened them down more but believe the drip has continued. 
does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, I don’t think it’s the overflow box itself as I’d think the leak would be much more severe, could the water be flowing the threads from the external overflow side and dripping down (is that even possible).

any suggestions are greatly appreciated thank you! 

Have you disassembled it to inspect the gasket?  I think aging/cracking of the gasket is probably the most common mode of failure, and while other things are possible, I don't think they're anywhere near as likely.

52 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

Have you disassembled it to inspect the gasket?  I think aging/cracking of the gasket is probably the most common mode of failure, and while other things are possible, I don't think they're anywhere near as likely.

I'd tend to agree, it sucks, but I'd take it apart and give it a look. Be nice if these things just ran forever! 

I’m going to take it apart this weekend, has to be coming from the bulkhead, only thing is it’s such a minor drip, and the bulkheads were brand new schedule 80 put on a few months ago, I appreciate your replies hopefully I get it all sorted out! 

What is the brand out of curiosity? I’ve seen Fiji Cube makes some easy to take apart wet and dry side.

There's a chance it's just a bit of debris in there or a part of the gasket that got caught or something, usually they will last for years before there's any big chance of them going bad.  There's of course the chance of a nick in the glass around the hole or something allowing a bit through, but it's unlikely to just happen while installed, but maybe it was weeping just a bit from the beginning and only just got noticed.

Hopefully you've got a union so that you can take the nut off and have a look without cutting the whole thing out.

As @YHSublime mentioned, knowing the overflow would help. You are describing something similar to a Fiji Cube overflow (I have one). The internal weir is attached to the bulkhead through a slip/pressure connection. It is important to know if it's coming from that or from the actual bulkhead that forms female portion of the slip connection. I have heard that the slip part can leak and if so, you'd want to get that part replaced by the manufacturer. If it is the actual bulkhead that attaches to the glass, then all of the above comments are relevant.