Getting clowns to spawn on clay pot?

cdw79

I've got a pair of clowns that are laying eggs at least once a month now, but they only ever lay their eggs on the piece of rocks that's part of the glued scape. I've tried buying some smaller clay pots and adding a half into the tank near their usual nesting site, but no luck. I even tried using it to cover their favored spot, but they both literally bit the pot and slowly pushed it off. 

Ultimately it doesn't matter a bunch to me- I suppose the occasional live food for the tank isn't bad. But I'd ideally like to be able to remove the eggs to give to some local breeders with more space than me to hopefully make the hobby just that little more accessible for locals. Does anyone have any ideas about how to convince them to lay their eggs on something removable? Would anyone want the eggs if I could successfully remove them from the tank? 

I can't say that I know, but I know that people sometimes use ceramic tiles instead of pots, and those may be easier to put up around the rock to get them to use that surface instead.

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2022 at 4:06 PM, cdw79 said:

I've got a pair of clowns that are laying eggs at least once a month now, but they only ever lay their eggs on the piece of rocks that's part of the glued scape. I've tried buying some smaller clay pots and adding a half into the tank near their usual nesting site, but no luck. I even tried using it to cover their favored spot, but they both literally bit the pot and slowly pushed it off. 

Ultimately it doesn't matter a bunch to me- I suppose the occasional live food for the tank isn't bad. But I'd ideally like to be able to remove the eggs to give to some local breeders with more space than me to hopefully make the hobby just that little more accessible for locals. Does anyone have any ideas about how to convince them to lay their eggs on something removable? Would anyone want the eggs if I could successfully remove them from the tank? 

you could use a piece of flat ceramic tile as well..

• 3 months later...