Calibrating salinity probe

George S.

Has anyone seen this before? I can get past the step where it test for an acceptable range. Probe is completely dry. It’s brand new and has never been in water.444FAAFF-056F-47E7-A677-4D2B9CFB85FB.thumb.png.9f96405a38e39c8a4b8cc4968b1c250b.png

Haven't used this probe/software, but knowing the tech, it sounds like there's some residual grime on the electrode that's conducting slightly and reading higher than zero should.  I'd rinse/soak in RODI, then swish a bit, then dry and try again.

There is a chance that the circuit reading out the probe is leaking as well, which likely would not be easy to fix without some technical knowledge and disassembling the unit, but I think this is comparatively unlikely.

If it doesn't go away, light scrubbing of the electrode (do they give any instructions for cleaning it?) is probably warranted, but different manufacturers recommend different procedures.  If you exhaust the possibilities of cleaning it and it doesn't appear to be the controller, the probe is probably bad.

10 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

Haven't used this probe/software, but knowing the tech, it sounds like there's some residual grime on the electrode that's conducting slightly and reading higher than zero should.  I'd rinse/soak in RODI, then swish a bit, then dry and try again.

There is a chance that the circuit reading out the probe is leaking as well, which likely would not be easy to fix without some technical knowledge and disassembling the unit, but I think this is comparatively unlikely.

If it doesn't go away, light scrubbing of the electrode (do they give any instructions for cleaning it?) is probably warranted, but different manufacturers recommend different procedures.  If you exhaust the possibilities of cleaning it and it doesn't appear to be the controller, the probe is probably bad.

Thanks! I’ll give it a bath and dry. If that doesn’t work I’ll give Neptune a shout.