Need Advice On BTA

George S.

Ok, so I’m willing to admit I want one but they scare the poop out of me, just being 100% honest. I have 8 rock flower nems and they are perfectly happy. The tank is relatively new but was a set up directly from a breakdown. Not really sure if any of the other corals I keep compare in difficulty but currently I have Lobos, elegance, Acans, Zoas, Stylopora, hammers, Frogspawn, alveopora, chalice and digi.  The old tank was up and running for about 8 months. The new tank is only about three weeks old. Most of the display rock was dry. I transferred over a bunch of coral attached to live rock and filled the sump as much as possible with live rock from the old tank. Am I scared for no reason? I have a rock structure close to an MP10 and about 2/3 of the way up in the display that would provide great light. What’s your opinion on them? Do people worry more than necessary?

Edited by George S.

The better question for you is do you want 1 or 10. Cause they love to split, walk around the tank and sting everything. Hahaha. At least in my opinion. That’s why there isn’t one in my system. 

Nems are awesome. If you want one, get one. I never bought into the tank maturity suggestions. Just be prepared for what Eric mentions above. But prior to introduction you can set yourself up for success. They like to stick their foots in a crevice so make sure your preferred space has crevices (hard to explain but they like like to stick their foots a bit upside down so they extend down then up to the light). This crevice is 100% not exposed to flow. Be prepared, they will move until they find that sweet spot. Also make sure there aren't other corals, etc that it can sting nearby. For flow, I believe they can handle any, direct or indirect. I prefer indirect so it's not completely blasted. In other words, if you're powerhead is on the right side of your tank put the nem on the left side. If your MP10 is behind the rock you're talking about, put the nem in front of the rock. Turn flow down (but not off) when introducing until the nem has secured its foot. Good luck!

@epleeds @howaboutme Thanks for the input guys. I’d love to

gind something my clowns will actually host and not keep picking

on every darn coral that moves lol! My Duncan’s are starting to get tired lol. Maybe a large elegance will do the trick!