How do you get inside a large tank to clean it?

Completely serious question that surprisingly can't find much info on.

We are about to start building our next home/tank with an 8x4x4 tank. The stand will be oversized so there will be a platform on the back. But how do I get inside to clean it lol? Do people just use the glass to pull themselves in and out? for some reason conceptually that scares me. A ladder of some sort makes sense to me? I have a bunch of mag floats from my current tank but eventually I will have to go inside of that tank and just want to make sure if there is anything I can do to make that easier I do it now. 

Make scaffolding over the tank so you can reach down to the middle. But depending on rockwork, it’s not like your going to be able to get inside the tank with your whole body. 

41 minutes ago, epleeds said:

Make scaffolding over the tank so you can reach down to the middle. But depending on rockwork, it’s not like your going to be able to get inside the tank with your whole body. 

That is what I was thinking. Was to build some scaffolding that can also have the lights somehow as well as something to hold onto. I will have room to get in, ceiling clearance is more than enougy and I will scape it so I can get in. The scaffolding is good idea could use it to pull myself up and drop myself in. That gives me some hits and ideas on Google thanks! 

It's a tricky size, 4 feet deep isn't really reachable even with your arm all the way in, but it's on the small size for something you can get into especially with rockwork in place.

I don't have experience working with this size, but I'd look for a fair amount of space above the tank in particular - like 4 feet or more - and a way to get the lights fully out of the way (slide over, raise up, etc.).  That way you can have complete access to the top to make use of your full arm's length and whatever scraping/grabbing tools you find are best.  Then you probably want some sort of scaffolding/walk boards/something you can slide around to where it's needed so you can support yourself or your equipment as needed up top - one of the more comfortable ways to work at length in the tank may be lying down face first into the tank, so something that could accommodate that may be useful.

Since it's sort of an unusual thing, I'd look for big tank tours on youtube and see what people have got for their solutions.  I think you'll find that most comparable tanks don't go to 4 feet, but rather do 30-36 inches because of reach concerns, but seeing what they have to get up to tank level (so you can stand high enough that your arms can be fully over it), what they have to mount the lights, and any special tools they use may be good inspiration.  I think with 4 feet wide and 4 feet deep you're left with more or less a 2 foot by 1 foot by 4 foot wide box in the center bottom of the tank that you definitely will not be able to reach without tools, so finding something that will let you work there or just planning the scape so that you don't have to much may be really useful in the long term.

If you have the space above the tank to actually stand in it, maybe planning your scape to give you a few places for your feet and getting waders and a way to get out without trashing your floors/equipment/walls could be pretty useful too.