Culture Station

Jenny

It is officially running and we have lots and lots of babies. We have pods and brine so far. Next home grown phyto and rotifers. I wanted to make sure it worked on the hard to crash species before attempting what a lot of people say are the tough ones.

Just wanted to share cause I'm excited.

hey Jenny

That's great. So what are you going to be feeding all the pods to? Seahorse fry? ;)

It is officially running and we have lots and lots of babies. We have pods and brine so far. Next home grown phyto and rotifers. I wanted to make sure it worked on the hard to crash species before attempting what a lot of people say are the tough ones.

Just wanted to share cause I'm excited.

Most breeders substitute home grown phyto with algae paste from reedmariculture. I use 3600 Nano.

I can give you some rots, when you are ready.

For my clown larvae I use rots and frozen cyclopeeze, no pods or bbs.

Good luck.

Yeah seahorses and hopefully dragonets babies and watchman babies.

Most breeders substitute home grown phyto with algae paste from reedmariculture. I use 3600 Nano.

I can give you some rots, when you are ready.

For my clown larvae I use rots and frozen cyclopeeze, no pods or bbs.

Good luck.

Algae paste eh? Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the offer of rots. I really appreciate that. I'll let you know when I am ready.

I have a extra nano culture disk if you want it. I am building one right now as well so it would be cool to compare notes. I am trying to work on a way to avoid splitting the culture in the traditional way. Basically I would take a little and feed a little on a daily basis. Just like sourdough ;) .

Dan

You mean like Adam last name unknown? ;)

I modified Dwayne Sapp's DIY station. I split my pod and brine shrimp population once. Now I just feed half of all containers to our reef on saturdays- some may say overfeeding I say no such thing. Basically a 50% water change in the containers. Everybody seems pretty happy with that.

What kind of culture disk did you get? Did you get them from Florida Aqua Farms?

Jenny

I've been contemplating the Geosapper for quite some time. I ordered the Nanochloropsus disk from Florida AF a few months ago. I at the time mainly wanted the Phytoplankton Culture Manual but, it was much cheaper to just buy the disk at the same time. I have three in the veggie crisper :biggrin: . I have been thinking though that I may start a culture with DT's Premium so I can get the Phaeodactylum as well for the EFA. I dunno. Steve Tyree has had sucess with using fresh water to culture Nano, F2, sit in the window, and just let it be. So sometimes I wonder if I am overthinking it.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...