Sprung a Leak, Now What?

Well, it's happened again and I think I've learned my lesson. After going through all the trouble of moving my NuVO 38 from Manassas to Maryland, I finally started filling today...and saw water pooling underneath. Given the tank's shape, weight and age, I don't feel comfortable taking a crack at trying to find the leak and re-seal the entire tank. It's impressively heavy, and while I am in larger space it's just not a feasible project right now.

So, I'm once again in the market for a tank. This time I'm saving up and buying new (or secondhand if I can manage to find something opened but not set up), since I'm two for two on being burned by used AIOs now. But I've been away from the hobby for a bit and need some recommendations. Only planning on small reef community fish and low-maintenance softies for this system.

My requirements:

-30-40 gallon range

-AIO strongly preferred, unless it's something pre-plumbed with a sump.

-Must be able to be FULLY COVERED, no mesh lids (I've lost too many little guys to jumping through holes that should be impossible to get out of)

-Preferred no hoods or built-in lights, as I still want to use my Kessils

-Does not need additional hardware included, I have pumps, powerheads, potentially media baskets and things like that on hand already.

-Because this is a bit of a surprise purchase, I am on a budget. No Red Sea-level suggestions.

You say no Red Sea options, but the E170 fits pretty much everything except for the lid, and while I don't know what mesh sizes you've tried, I've seen BRS offer 1/8" clear mesh, which could potentially be a mesh top option - otherwise places can make laser cut polycarbonate lids for a lot of things, so there could be a custom option (maybe not that cheap) to get a lid on a tank.  It's been my experience that most tanks that come with glass tops still leave enough of a gap to be problematic, even if they are close.

I mention the E170 because they are common enough that they show up on the used market for reasonable prices, I think I paid $500-600 for mine off craigslist but it came with the stand and light.  Worth mentioning: you would probably need the stand for it, since there is a gasket for optional sump plumbing that protrudes slightly from the bottom.

Otherwise, people seem to love the Waterbox tanks, I've heard good things about Nuvo too, but I assume you're not interested in just going back after a leak.  For durability concerns, there's always the acrylic option, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more expensive and then there's the scratching issues.

If it were me, I'd probably just look around for what's available used, but it's trickier with the trickling clock if you've already got something in there.

Thanks for the feedback! I mostly was prepared to rule out RS for budget concerns entirely, especially since I'm hesitant about anything secondhand. I'm not against Nuvo again, since I can't predict what might have caused it between the tank's age and the move.

I wouldn't be against getting my hands on a RS that's the right size, I know the lids can be well-fitted, and I do have room for a stand (and could maybe add a sump later which would be nice). Just gotta see if I can get lucky.

Thankfully I didn't open my live sand up yet, my rocks are still in buckets (which will be getting bubblers now that there's no immediate new home for them), and the livestock is still away at summer camp. Still, want to get things up and running ASAP.

I guess two other to add to the list for new tanks but which may not be cheap could be Ultum Nature Systems and Lifegard Aquatics.  They both offer low iron glass AIO tanks in around the right size, generally rimless, but would be easy to use on an arbitrary stand and with whatever equipment.  I've got a little Lifegard pico and the build quality is good and included parts work well, though I've only had it up for a little while.

If you think a short tank could work, maybe even acrylic frag tanks.  Could be tricky to light with just a single kessil, but the wide format can be nice and sometimes they have the AIO compartments too (though maybe tough to get a skimmer in depending on depth requirements).

I have a 24x30x12 frag tank drilled for a drain and return. Could be a sweet shallow reef. It’s acrylic as well with eurobracing. Asking $250 for the tank.