Red Hair Algae

HowardofNOVA

Hey everyone,

I didn't see this heading posted anywhere on the site and when I returned from FL, my tank was loaded with it. I've removed as much of it as I can with my fingers, but alot is left over. Obviously, I must have other issues going on, but does anyone have any suggestions on anything that will feed on Red Hair Algae?

I plan on doing a water change tonight and sucking as much of the slimy stuff out as I can. Any other suggestions?

Howard

Also, my B/W Heniochus has another bout with fin fungus and will need to put him into a quarantine tank with medicine, but that's another topic. Probably related. [tr]

note: Was thinking about taking a small cheese cloth type bag and start syphoning from main tank into sump with bag catching residue. Will see if that works next

Guest ufans
I was quite successful using chemi-pure (1bag for 75gal).  I also purchaced chemi-clean as a last resort but didn't need it.  Do a couple of large water changes.  Make sure your skimmer it operating at 110%.  And, make sure you have enough water movement in your tank.  Manually removing the stuff might work, but it also might just allow it to spread faster.  You really need to fix the problem.  Also, check to make sure that your sand bet is not harboring any bad stuff...thus,... make sure it is being turned over regularly.

im not sure what cutting will do but dont scrape it. for what ive read  scraping will cause it to spread all over the place. cutting may do the same because the "spores" may be small and pass through the cheese cloth. Then you deffinatly would have to find the source and try to find something that will munch on it. Good luck with it

[wl]

Ok, I've suctioned it up, picked it out and now ready to try something different. Talked to Chip and believes I have a PH problem. Will add some more Blue/Red Leg Crabs and more Astrea Snails to beef up the cleaner crews and see what will happen. Will keep you in the know, but any other recommendations on what eats this stuff, appreciate the 411?

Howard

You could try a sea hare. I agree about the chemi-pure. works like a charm. I did use the chemi-clean at one point last year and it also worked, but use that as a last resort. beef up the water flow and toss in a few margarita and cerith snails along with the blue and red legs and the astreas. I never had much luck with the astreas. I found the margaritas to be much more productive algae munchers.

Thanks Sugar,

But I think the down sides would be worst with Hares then not. I just posted a future purhase at http://reeftopia.com/index.html

Check it out if your looking for some additional clearners yourself?

Howard

Howard, are you talking about the red, cotton-looking stuff?  If so, I had a nagging problem with it in my current tank until I tried a few Mexican Turbo snails.  They munched it all...

Guys, I might have found the answer to my prayers:

Red tipped leg hermits (not red leg) are good for reef tank.   They will clean your rock, sand bed and left over food.   These are NOT the red leg hermits which are not good for tank.   Click: http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchan....e=Crabs

They supposably love the red stuff!

Premium Aquatics sell them at $2 each, but some guy from CA named Kenton Huynh can get them for .50 cents each!

Howard

I have had great luck with RED LEGGED HERMIT CRABS

Clibanarius digueti

Congregos Ermitanos

Arthropa

super family - - Coenobitoidea (Hermit Crabs)

family -- Diogenidae

genus -- Clibanarius

species - - digueti

they come from the Lower Gulf of Mexico and outer Baja to Bahia de Magalena.

Species is usually red in appearance with expanded chromatophores forming blue spots over their cheliped (claws) and walking legs. The antennae and antennules are bright red. The tips of all legs are also red or orange.

This small crab is the best algae eating hermit crab I have tested. Chibanarius digueti feeds on algae that grows on the rocky substrate and mangrove roots.

C. digueti occupies a large variety of shells. I have found entire colonies in broken sand worn shells. Both the Blue leg hermits and the red San Sabastion crabs always are collected in clean fresh shells. Both of these crabs have eat snails. In nature C. digueti feeds by scavenging the algae that has started to decay from being exposed at low tide. I have never seen one of these guys kill a snail.

These red legged crabs are very effective at eating hair algae. I have observed many small C. digueti settle in the center of patches of hair algae and stay there for several days until they have cleared a patch over one inch in diameter. This small hermit crab will clean red sponges and small polyp colonies and not damage them in any way. I have watched these crabs clean red cyanabacteria from new polyps and not damage the cuttings.

The only place I have found them for sale is

Garf.org

On another note if you want to clear up the problem... try putting a bag of Purigen and a sheet of polyfilter in your sump or filter. The combination strips the stuff that grows algae (phosphates) from the water. I have seen hair algae die in a few days with this combo you can get them locally or from drfostersmith.com

I have had great luck with RED LEGGED HERMIT CRABS

Clibanarius digueti

Ditto! :)  

I don't have any hermits in my current tank, but if I were ever to have any again, these are the guys I would put in.

BTW, Premium Aquatics sells them too (check the link posted above by Howard).