How do you determine the proper size sump for your tank?

MODreefer

I'm looking for the most likely sized sumps to work with a 120 gal and 180 gal display tank.  Is there a formula to determine this? Is it whatever fits your equipment? Thanks for the responses/

I can imagine there is a sump calculator out there somewhere, but IME it depends on what type and size equipment you plan on running, complexity of plumbing, and if a refugium or frag area is wanted

There's no magic number, you touched on it with your second question of "is it what fits your equipment?" 

Obviously if you can increase water volume and you have the space, then that's a benefit. Are you going to run an algae scrubber? A refugium? Extra rock? Internal skimmer? If your sump will be out of sight and you have the space, I say go as big as you can! 

I have a dream of one day running my nano/a nano plumbed into a 150 rubbermaid sump

Normally, I determine the size of the skimmer I want to get and consider the water level that is appropriate for the skimmer a long with at I want to add. Then with the tank/tanks, determine the water displacement when the tank is "full" and when the pump is "off" so that you don't overflow your sump. That's the "minimum" size sump I would get. 

I'm doing a build now and went through the same decision making process. For me, aesthetics is #1 so I chose tank and stand first. Granted, mine is significantly smaller in scale. Then I determined what I wanted to put inside the stand. To me, the inside must have space for dry equipment so the sump could not take up more than 1/2 of the width. What helps is that I've been successful with a minimalistic approach to reefing. My sump only needed the basics, return, skimmer, return, 3 chambers. Perhaps the largest can hold more rock but that's it. While choosing a sump, I also research skimmer and return pump in parallel all making sure it will fit into the chambers and, in case of the skimmer, the stand (being able to access and take cup/body off, etc). I went w/ an off the shelf sump so things like probe and dosing tube holders came with it otherwise I would be planning those too. Good luck!

Thx. I’ve been culling together equipment to do this build and next month the tanks are going up on the stands. I’ve decided on the trigger platinum with the fleece roller. This means I may need to get smaller skimmers as the fleece will do the heavy lifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk