Elementary School 110 Gallon

(edited)

This tank was set up for 1 year at my previous school, 1 year at my current school, and then shut down for a year due to COVID. I'm getting it back up and running now that we are planning to be back in the building full time in the fall. I got the tank wet a couple weeks ago and am now working to get the salt right and get the tank cycled.

1263553825_SchoolTankisWet.thumb.jpg.2253a7a4f62ee0ec170fa9c8e3e900b9.jpg

The tank was donated to a middle school locally and never used. I overheard the department talking about throwing it out and asked if I could have it. The tank is plumbed with a relatively small sump (I think between 15 - 20 gallons). I got the PTA to buy a stand, and started a club to raise money to get the necessary equipment. So, my equipment is definitely on the cheap end. I figured that I would use the cheap stuff to get it up and running and then start replacing parts as they broke down/needed upgrading. I am currently using:

1 Flexzion Pond Pump Submersible (2100GPH) as a return

2 x Hydor Koralia 1050 circulation pumps

2 x Aqueon Pro 300W heaters

1 Koval LED light

Livestock (currently in my home tank, but will be moving back once the school tank is ready)

1 Blue Tang

2 x Yellowtail Damsel

2 x Talbot's Damsel

2 x Clarkii Clown

2 x Turbo snails

Small to medium hermits

Some ceriths, nassarius, and nerites

Initially, I ran the tank as a FOWLR but did start adding some corals that were mostly donated by a local shop. The main factor keeping me from doing much with corals was (and still is) my light. I'm also concerned about the amount of upkeep to do a nice reef tank, since I have limited time to work in the building.

So, I've been contemplating updating the light. The concern is still money. At this point, I'm not sure that I'll be able to run a club this year. I'm anticipating the school system will want to limit the time students are in the building still. With that in mind, I found this light on sale from Marine Depot.

https://www.marinedepot.com/48-inch-current-usa-truelumen-pro-12-000k-diamond-white-led-striplight

Does anyone have any experience with them? Could I use it to add some simple corals or should I stick with FOWLR?

Edited by AHarp

You didn't link which light so I can't comment on that, but consider p38 bulbs like Kingbo reef lights on Amazon. I have 4 over my 75. Only thing i would worry about is penetration with a deep tank. But I've kept every kind of coral with those lights. They are about $26 each

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I will donate this to you:

You'll have to arrange pick up though.

Light will be fine for anything up to SPS. Just plug it into a timer.

I can also donate this skimmer to you:

You will need a new pump though. It's an old skimmer  (and perhaps overkill for your size) so you won't find by a handful of people on here that know about it. Let me know.

@maevepotter facepalm. Added the link, and I'll check out your suggestion! Thanks!

@howaboutme Awesome! I can't see any of the pictures in your threads, but how is the light suspended over the tank? Does it have like a gooseneck, or wire? How big is the skimmer? The sump I have is really kind of small and there's not much space to fit anything in. I've been considering adding a second small sump/10 gallon aquarium and having one for equipment and one for a refugium. Would the skimmer fit in a 10 gallon or could it possibly be run inline?

Re: hanging, see images below. I didn't use the hook. Instead, I just looped the cable around metal conduit which was then attached to the stand. You can also hang it from the wall or ceiling.

The skimmer is big. Footprint is approximately 12" in diameter and about 19" tall total. I think you'll need at least an 18" deep sump to take it like a 40B.

Keep in mind that I'm in Centreville. Let me know.

PXL_20210719_154026088.jpg

PXL_20210719_154100142.jpg

Good deal, I've done the same thing with my lighting here at home. I don't have the ability to mess with the ceiling at school so it'll be the same method there. I don't think I'll be able to use the skimmer; I just don't have space for a sump that big. I'm contemplating picking up some live rock in Haymarket, so Centreville would work out nicely if I can do both in one trip. Possibly tomorrow during the day?

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 12:41 PM, therootcause said:

Do you have any photos of the tank when it was set up over the past few years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have a couple! This is from the initial set up:

2034882758_YellowtailDamselsandTalbotDamsels.thumb.JPG.7d816288a0d4521a4c762a68c67513ee.JPG

And this is from just before COVID shut down my school and I had to take it all home.

421282387_FTS5BG.thumb.jpg.4b22e1c68d2790ffc48341883dc057f0.jpg

Right now the tank honestly looks terrible. It's not really in a good location, right in front of windows. It gets a lot of sun. I did paint the back black and I have the right side blocked with paper, but the algae growth right now is ridiculous. Eventually, I want to make a canopy for it to help some, but I haven't had time. The clowns and damsels are in, along with a couple hermit crabs and some top snails. I need to get a big clean up crew in there soon.

Edited by AHarp