How to Get Into 3D Printing?

DelRayTank

Someone, please help!

I have been really interested in getting into 3D printing for a while.  There are endless options of 3D printing items that I would like to work on for my tank and have dreamt about for a while.  Additionally, my kids are getting older and have themselves voiced an interest in trying out 3D printing.  This newfound interest from my kids puts me in a position to justify the initial investment as a "family investment" rather than an "aquarium cost"!

However, I have no idea where to start, other than that it has to be at the very beginning.  To start off, I don't even have a computer - I have an iPad and a work laptop.  I suspect the iPad won't allow me to tinker with designs and may not even interface with the 3D printers, so I assume that would not be a good device to use as the primary interface with a 3D printer.  The work laptop is locked down tight, which would prevent me from installing software or drivers necessary for the printer.  

So, I would love if anyone can point me in the right direction here.  What computer do I realistically need to be able to make my own designs efficiently and to print effectively?  What are some good options of budget 3D printers or mid-grade printers to look into?  What kind of software to use for the designs?

If a member of our community is versed in these topics and able to help point me in the right direction or towards good resources, I would be very thankful!

Surprisingly, a lot of 3D printing stuff can be done from a phone or tablet.  There are a few lightweight 3d modeling programs that run as apps or in browser, and a number of printers now have wifi interfaces where you can upload directly to them rather than put on an SD card or drive through a USB port.  I don't have much experience with a lot of the types and a lot of the streamlined interfaces different companies offer, but I know there's a huge variety.

First, 3d printing basically falls into two broad categories of printers: FDM or filament printers (probably what you're thinking of), and SLA or resin printers, which use a photosensitive resin to build up layers.  Each has its advantages, but basically FDM systems can print larger models with a wider variety of materials and are generally less effort to print something when everything is setup, but resin printers can make harder parts with much finer detail levels (almost invisible layers).  I'm assuming here you're considering an FDM printer - they're usually the one people think of, and that's the only kind I have direct experience with.

The basic workflow, though with some company's software these parts can be combined, is: design or otherwise get a 3d model -> import into a slicer to convert to code a printer can run -> upload to printer and print -> remove from printer and post process as required.  I'm a tinkering type, so while I went for a printer that was well built and documented, I wanted open source options for most of those steps and valued well specified or documented designs along the way.

What I've been using for the last few years is: Fusion 360 for CAD modeling (decent learning curve, but very powerful and a free hobbyist license can get you into it), PrusaSlicer for my slicing program (broad printer support and open source, but also good default profiles for a lot of printers and filaments), Octoprint on a raspberry pi for a local print server to run the printer and give me status info on the print, and a Prusa i3 MK3S printer for making the actual parts.

Even if you eventually look elsewhere, I would at least look up the Prusa i3 MK3S and the Prusa Mini as both are well developed printers with a well developed software ecosystem, and because they've been good for a while and they are open source, a lot of competitors will have similar features and designs, and a lot of people use their FDM printers as a benchmark for others.  Looking beyond Prusa, there a printers for literally half the price - usually with much less software support, less expensive/precise design choices in the printer/etc., and there are printers for double or more of the price, usually with their own fully integrated software environment, comprehensive customer support, or built in automation or other features.

All of that said, FDM 3d printing is pretty well understood and even very inexpensive printers can give you good prints, though there are sometimes reliability, initial adjustment, or prolonged usage/safety issues.  PLA is the most common plastic to print, but if you're making aquarium stuff you probably will work in PETG more, and both are inexpensive for quantities of good quality filament in a whole variety of colors and can be printed by virtually any printer (no high temperature requirements, for example).  It is a deep subject to get into, so I'd look around at some intro videos, take a look at some printer reviews (even for ones you don't necessarily care about), and just get a feel for the kinds of things that are out there and the kinds of things you may want to look for in your first printer, there is a huge amount of information out there and if you stick to a more major brand or model, there will be thousands of posts around on tweaking, modifying, or operating the printer you're looking at.

If you are interested in something specifically for young kids, maybe look into a 3d pen - basically the same technology, but without the automated positioning and no software or technical setup required.

What @DaJMasta said is very good information.

One of the main "keys" I'd reiterate is to watch a lot of videos and if you use Facebook, join a few groups so you can see some of the successes, and failures, that others have had.  Plus it'll expose you to how versatile the printers can be.

Many folks get a 3D printer and "go nuts" upgrading everything because they saw someone else do it and they were successful.  My advice would be to get a good solid printer that has decent support and a good following (so you can ask for help if needed) to start with.  And don't start upgrading things until you have a good handle on the basics (which would be the exact opposite of what I did..............so I know what I'm talking about!  haha).

Personally I've used Creality, Tevo (now Homer), and Prusa printers.  The Prusa was probably the "easiest" to use, and probably the nicest, but I needed larger print areas, so now I use a Creality CR10s-Pro.  I'll likely soon be getting a CR6-Max (if it's ever in stock) so I can have an even larger print area (I want to print a set of larger sump baffles and a larger ATS!).  

With all that being said, if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.