Help understanding ATI test results

sigel7

So I see an elemental analysis, but am not sure what you're looking for. You seem to have elevated nitrates and phosphorus / phosphate, and elevated aluminum. The nitrates and phosphorus/phosphates are evidence of elevated nutrients - overfeeding, decay, or incomplete or insufficient anaerobic nitrogen cycling. High nutrients can compel us to use other nutrient binders. Are you using an alumina-based phosphate binder in your setup that might be accounting for the elevated aluminum? You're a little low on iodine so you might add some Lugols to your dosing regimen if you so choose. 

I also see elevated sulfur, but I don't know if that's coming from elevated levels of sulfate or where it's coming from.

My main question, though, is how does your tank look now? Your eyes should tell you more than a test for trace elements like are mostly in what you've posted. Most of the advice on the second image seems like they're prompting you to chase numbers. I'm not a big fan of chasing trace elements whose importance is not proven. 

For me, the best use of these detailed tests is to take one when your tank is happy and looking good to establish a baseline. Then, when things aren't looking so good, you have something you can compare against. 

I'm not sure where the high aluminum is coming from. The only thing I have in the tank for nitrates is bio pellets and brightwell aquatic phosphate E. I also dose agropower for coral growth. I don't believe any of them have aluminum in them. 

I have marinepure ceramic biomedia spheres in our setup. Not sure if they contribute to high aluminum or sulfur? My tank is a mix of LPS and soft coral. The soft coral seem to do well but I keep losing the LPS. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some people have seen elevated aluminum from marinepure. I have a couple blocks in my sump but don't have the aluminum issue. So it's not universal.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Brightwell Phosphate e is likely Lanthanum Chloride - a well known pool chemical used to precipitate out phosphates. So it's not the cause of your elevated aluminum.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk