How large of a tank can I place on the second floor of house?

Zaphodent

Hey guys,

Attached is a rough sketch of the house. Also a picture of the beam and joist on the opposite end of the house. Where the tank will be has drywall underneath so can't see. 

How large of a tank can I place on the second floor of the house with a steel beam running underneath it? The joist unfortunately runs parallel with the tank location. I know there are a lot of other factors but looking for a rough estimate. 

60 inch long tank is what we are looking at. 

Untitled.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Can you explain the 2 red lines depicting the steel beam? Is it 2 beams or  you're just trying to show the thickness? No issues w/ steel beam. How many wood joists will your tank sit on and is that the very perimeter of the house?

Can you explain the 2 red lines depicting the steel beam? Is it 2 beams or  you're just trying to show the thickness? No issues w/ steel beam. How many wood joists will your tank sit on and is that the very perimeter of the house?

It’s just one steel beam(used Microsoft paint haha)....it will be near the wall perimeter, maybe a few inches away from wall.

Footprint of tank will probably be 24 inches width wise so maybe will cover two joist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be fine with really no issues. That steel beam being there makes everything stronger even though your tank is going to be parallel to the path of the wood joists. Keep in mind, when in doubt, compare your tank to a bath tub with full water and a 200+ lbs human lounging in it. Your tank will be uniformly distributed over 2 joists that will create a point load onto that steel beam. That steel beam ain't going to deflect at all no matter where the post is. If you weren't sitting on that steel beam, then we should ask more questions.

• 2 weeks later...

At 150-185g depending on height, I’d agree with @howaboutme that you’d be fine.  The closer you get to the outer wall, the more weight you’ll be able to support.  So a 185g tank a few inches from the wall wouldn’t be a problem.  If you follow the length of the metal beam, you will probably see vertical metal columns.  Those areas will also be capable of supporting higher weight loads.