Vacation tank care?

thewire

So, if I am planning to go away for 4 weeks (hopefully), what is my option to take care of my nano tank?

1) Ask a friend to come by and feed a little food and check ATO water tank every 4 days ..so he only needs to come by 6/7 times

2) Hired a tank maintenance company? How much this normally run?

3) Get a member to baby sit my tank by me bring the entire tank over to their house! LOL...and buy them a nice bottle of whiskey after

wow! 4 weeks is pretty long time to be away from a tank, esp. a nano. I usually have auto feeder and large ato reservoir with enough water for 2 weeks. but I have a large system (450 gallons).

IMO, your best option would be getting a maintenance company. I'd not ask my friend to take care of my tank for that long. you will likely end up losing a friend :biggrin: Good luck!.

1 hour ago, epleeds said:

How big is the nano?  Inhabitants, where u located?

IM Fusion 10  less than 8g, Chantilly VA

1 hour ago, flooddc said:

wow! 4 weeks is pretty long time to be away from a tank, esp. a nano. I usually have auto feeder and large ato reservoir with enough water for 2 weeks. but I have a large system (450 gallons).

IMO, your best option would be getting a maintenance company. I'd not ask my friend to take care of my tank for that long. you will likely end up losing a friend :biggrin: Good luck!.

LOL yea..i know! Planning to fly to NZ to see my family if we are still ok to fly after vaccination

You could use a large brute trash can and fill it with RODI water maybe? I can't imagine a 10 gallon system will go through more than 20~30 gallons of evaporation in a month right?

And maybe you can use an auto feeder to feed tiny amounts every day and set it up like a month before you leave so you can deal with any problems that might occur

5 hours ago, thewire said:

IM Fusion 10  less than 8g, Chantilly VA

LOL yea..i know! Planning to fly to NZ to see my family if we are still ok to fly after vaccination

I wouldn’t hire a company to come out for a ten gallon. But your close to reef escape in fairfax. Maybe see if you can bring your tank to them for them to babysit while your gone. Might be way cheaper then having them send someone to your house several times per week. 

also depending on what you have in it, you could always sell the livestock and then start it again when you come back. 

1 minute ago, epleeds said:

I wouldn’t hire a company to come out for a ten gallon. But your close to reef escape in fairfax. Maybe see if you can bring your tank to them for them to babysit while your gone. Might be way cheaper then having them send someone to your house several times per week. 

also depending on what you have in it, you could always sell the livestock and then start it again when you come back. 

true that..i might just get someone to babysit my clowns then again it won't happened till maybe Aug

I’d be happy to babysit the tank for you at my house for free. All I’d ask is that you bring it to me and then pick it up when you’re back. I’m in Alexandria. 

The only caveat is I’d have to pre-clear with my wife, which I don’t think would be a problem!

23 hours ago, DelRayTank said:

I’d be happy to babysit the tank for you at my house for free. All I’d ask is that you bring it to me and then pick it up when you’re back. I’m in Alexandria. 

The only caveat is I’d have to pre-clear with my wife, which I don’t think would be a problem!

Cool thanks! :) I will definitely keep you in mind once I have the vacation plan if we can travel :)