SPS Bacterial Infection help?

Fair point that the move could be more of a death sentence. I know that that colony is at least happy/capable of growing well where it is. 

Yes I meant .05ppm sorry. I have nitrates at around 3ppm right now. I think I am going to leave it there and see what happens once the phosphates come down. 

I think I am going to remove the carbon and go with polyfilter as that may he a little easier on the system for removing something bad. 

I think dropping the phosphates back and raising nitrates and swapping in polyfilter in case there a bad contaminate. Anything else I should try right now dont want to go to crazy but dont want to go to little

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp. Phosphates at .07. Nitrates at 3ppm. Everything else unchanged over the past few days. Swapped out carbon for polyfilter and Ive watched 2 of my last 4 SPS colonies RTN today. Hands down the most frustrating thing is spending 100s on test kits, ICP,  even that bacteria test and nothing really stands out. Ive killed corals before due to stupidity. And while it sucks at least I can learn and move on. Ive watched a tank grow from frags and mini colonies to many 6-7 inch plus colonies in 2 years or less time only for them all to waste away slowly over the past few months with me changing nothing about husbandry or feeding and not even livestock in that span. Totally depressing. I have probably read 100 threads of mystery deaths and looked at it all and Im still stumped by it. I am waiting on the bacteria test results there was a delay on their end which they apologized for. I really hope that is the cause so I have some closure. For the life of me I cannot figure out how without any visible pest that this has happened 1 or 2 colonies at a time. But now begins the journey into a soft coral and anemone tank I plan to wait a while before adding a bunch of the frags of some colonies I made that are in my frag tank back into the display. Thanks to everyone who helped. You win some and lose some in this hobby wish I could've figured this one out to help someone else

what’s your typical ph range? Don’t think i’ve seen it mentioned yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't check it as often as other params Ill admit. But I was at the beginning of all this. I used to dose kalkwasser for alk and Ca still was until the end albeit not as much. Ph stayed around 8.1-8.3 depending on the time of day. A few times during a couple upticks in algae I thought maybe it caused my ph to swing more. But it really didnt only a few times did it ever hit 8 that I tested. I didn't test it as religiously as I grew many of the corals from small frags and mini colonies for a while without testing or chasing it. I only started testing it when I started seeing problems to cross things off the list. I just wouldnt have expected the onesy twosey die offs of colonies with a ph swing problem. But I may start keeping an eye on it some more