Start a thread for Generator/Battery backup help

wildcrazyjoker81

What is everyone's thought on getting a thread/sticky for people who have generators, battery backup air pumps, etc that they are willing to let fellow reefers use in emergency situations? I know I have a whole home generator and have a spare portable generator I could lend to people in need during power outages. That said I am down in Stafford which will be a turn off for some, but I have it for use. I know generators are high dollar items, but would hate for someone to lose their reef for a long power outage.

I am currently using a computer battery back up for almost two years for my 120. It powers to a nano hydor pump and a 50w heater. When power is out, it automatically runs for about 6-8 hours (according to the indicator).

My community was built in 2005 so all the power lines are underground and usually power restored back in a few hours.

Now, I am not sure if that’s sufficient but it “helped” during the a couple of power outages which last about couple hours.

I also have those cheap battery operated pumps. I was surprised how long it last when we took it to fishing used as to oxygenate the baits. It was still running for about 8 hours on two DDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 60 Kw diesel Generator on a single axle trailer old military unit that we use on jobs sites it moves all over this this is loud let me know if some need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/16/2020 at 9:27 AM, DCReefer1964 said:

I think it is a great idea. @telegrahamhas an excellent YouTube video on converting old APC UPS batteries and solor power backups.

Thanks! DIY panels on the roof, solar charge controller/automatic transfer switch, LiFePO4 batteries, two generators and my last resort 75kWh car battery. During the summer months, the system runs off the solar/batteries for nearly 16 hours. During the winter, it still does the same, but for about half the time. When not on solar, the power system acts as a typical UPS. Been operating like this for a little over one year.