Cross roads

Brian M

My tank has been suffering for months, I have bad diatoms, brown hair algae, my corals are bleaching, my zoas wont open. I keep doing water changes but nothing seems to help. I feel like the tank is a month or two away from total devastation. I am debating getting out of the hobby. Is there anyone out there in the Bethesda MD area that I could hire to figure out the fix? Or should I pack it in?

Thanks

Brian

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can you post some pics? How old is the tank? What you think are diatoms may actually be dinoflagellates. Either way, it can be overcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about some information, might be able to troubleshoot right here! 

Can you provide the following:

Salinity

Temperature

Alkalinity

Calcium

Magnesium 

What are you using for water, when was the last time the filters were changed, what's the TDS coming out? What kind of salt do you use? Do you have photos of your tank? How often do you do water changes? Hold old is the tank? 

I think you do have dinos not diatoms. What are nitrate/phosphate (presumably low). Key steps... raise nutrients, stop doing water changes, dose bacteria supplements, reduce lights especially white, run carbon, and frequent manual removal of as much as possible (may have to slowly siphon most sand out). It’s a pain and no quick fix. But don’t give up. I went through this as well, so feel free to ask as many questions as you want.
Sept 2018
fe7e9acef906dc873f1d18e93903cd65.jpg
to now
518d4caf73acf8caec0a99b10615c78d.jpg

Siphon off a chunk and throw it under a microscope to ID. Cheap ones can be purchased on Amazon. Dino Support Group on FB is excellent.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sorry Im out of the slag and even the real name of reef S&*%.
What is Dino?
What do you do if you have it?

dino= dinoflagellates. There are different types, but usually look like brown snotty bubbly strings, or brown mats on the sand. Often mistaken for cyano or diatoms, best way to confirm is under a microscope. Most common in newish tanks started with dry rock and 0 nutrients. There are several theories/methods for treatment, but usually raising nutrients and promoting beneficial bacteria/microfauna to outcompete.

21 hours ago, jhOU said:

dino= dinoflagellates. There are different types, but usually look like brown snotty bubbly strings, or brown mats on the sand. Often mistaken for cyano or diatoms, best way to confirm is under a microscope. Most common in newish tanks started with dry rock and 0 nutrients. There are several theories/methods for treatment, but usually raising nutrients and promoting beneficial bacteria/microfauna to outcompete.

thank you for the response

• 2 months later...