Utility Sink Install Question

Aquastudent

I'm looking to install a utility sink in my laundry room. It's a tight squeeze and limited on options but I want to see the feasibility of it. If anybody has experience and can recommend courses of action or has a recommended plumber in the Fairfax, Springfield, or Burke areas they would recommend that would be greatly appreciated.

This install will help me maintain my large freshwater tank in the winter (as I don't have access to the hose for water changes and helps avoid the bucket brigade) and will enable me to expand my reef aquarium (and perhaps install an RO/DI unit).

I'm comfortable with the install once a plan is in place, but am willing to hire a professional to ensure it gets done right. I haven't submitted for a permit yet since I don't have the plan finalized.

Image 1 is the layout of the room. The only place the sink can go is unfortunately in the back corner. This is approximately 11 total feet to the drain. There's plenty of vertical space from the drain to the sink p-trap to maintain at least the minimum depression angle for the drain pipe. However, with the length of the pipe, it would need a closer ventilation line to prevent the p-trap from being cleared. I'm looking at either air admittance valves or extending the horizontal vent pipe behind the hot water heater and air handling unit and connect closer to the sink. Solid green are current installed pipes and dotted green is the notional drain line.

Utility_Sink_Plumbing_01.thumb.PNG.e59f5f68b743e091823527bd07ef2fb4.PNG

Image 2 shows the current plumbing. The left vertical drain is confusing to me as I don't see it's purpose. If this is a drain line though, it is the closest location for the utility sink drain connection.

Utility_Sink_Plumbing_02.thumb.PNG.39bbae1b19321116e1999fe9ee3961b8.PNG

The other option is to install a sump pump to evacuate the drain water. I'd like to avoid this option if possible.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

You should not need a permit for this project. Unless the city has some weird rule. 

I would avoid the sump crock and utilize the method you have drawn. (No worries about failure and much less cost) It will def suck getting around your HVAC equipment, but since you have the appropriate drop in drainage line, seems like the better path to take. The studor vent would be a much easier option and less plumbing to run, so I would vote for that. 

That is true.  I worked as a plumber (although I am an electrician) and I installed a sink in my workshop just as you plan to do.  (I also plumbed my whole house and many others) I also would not get a permit as that opens you up to all sorts of inspections and you don't want inspectors in your house if you can help it.  I also doubt it is illegal.

Don't use a sump pump as they will always be a problem.   It looks like you have enough room there for a normal drain line and you can easily put the antisiphon valve right next to the sink.  Thats where I have mine.

You can see mine here in the back.  If the picture shows up

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/urchsearch/a/0aecb164-96ce-4c85-ad43-aef2e707f671/p/baaa008c-b83a-4aed-957d-89693370cf6c][IMG]https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/.highres/thumbnail_zpsz6hkit6e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by paul b