Need to move and replace or give away my 125 gallon tank before cold weather

Lee Chambers

I need to move and replace or give away my 125 gallon tank before cold weather
As a new hobbyist, I placed my tank in a great location in our family room; however, it is located just above the HVAC system which sits in the basement. After 14 years of saltwater spills, it's now time to replace the HVAC.  Not ready for cold weather. 

Option 1 - Give away all and start over. No price - free to a good home !  Take the tank, inhabitants, live rock, substrate, sump, chiller, pump etc.

Major inhabitants include:
1 Pacific Blue tang 
3 Hawaiian tangs
3 Rose Bubble Tip Anemone - never hosted
2 Percula (male/female) Clown fish 
5 Humbug Dascyllus (3 stripes)
2 Sixline Wrasse

Option 2 - ?  The tank is in a great location. I just need a more robust stand that will allow me to set up where spills are contained.  Would love suggestions. I don't really want to leave the hobby. Option 1 may be the best option for this year. Thanks. 

Systems also includes Current lights, eFlux wave pump systems with two pumps. 

Tank2-20200718=1.jpg

Tank1-20200718-1.jpg

Let me know if you want to borrow a Rubbermaid 150, can set everything in that until you’re ready to setup again! I’m currently running 3!

I’d be interested in all the fish and rock for a new 200 im setting up, and would be willing to take it all of that is your stipulation.

We built our stand with a two inch lip around the base, which has contained every spill and overflow from the sump so far. We used a pond liner to make it waterproof. We also built a shelf around the entire display. It was meant to just be handy for setting things on, but it has also contained minor drips and splashes from the display.

15 hours ago, Lee Chambers said:

I need to move and replace or give away my 125 gallon tank before cold weather

This sort of life event is an opportunity for you to do any change/upgrade in your tank and configuration.  That should be a major part of your decision on whether to keep your current setup, keep some parts and change others, or do a total reboot.

Some things are too hard to change on a tank that's running, like the tank size and viewing aspect, overflow and plumbing configuration, stand height and style, and sump/pump/skimmer.  But if you've always wished the tank or equipment was different, now's the time to do it.

On the other hand, if you've got a superbly tuned system and you wouldn't change a thing, then keep your equipment and build a catch pan into your stand like ReefdUp mentions.

• 1 month later...

My stand has a 1x2 lip all the way around the base of the stand. The inside of the stand is coated with boat deck paint/sealer for the first 12" or so high inside the stand. All the seams and corners are inside the lip are siliconed about 3 inches up the corners and around all the edges. 

My tank is pretty small 28x30 foot print but the stand reliably holds 7-9 gallons (I don't remember) with nothing in the stand and not a drop of water on the floor after a 48 hr leak test where I filled it all the way to the tip top of the lip. I've since has plenty of smaller spills and nothing reaches the floor so far. 

I've made this water proof floor catch pan/whatever you want to call it design standard for my last couple of tanks in all cases I've had  and no cases of the leaks reach the floor.

Aa a precaution all my recent stands have had "feet" that give about 3/16th - 1/4"  clearence off the floor so when I get smaller spills from water changes or whatever I can use a small towel or rag to get any tiny puddles and drips that make their way under the stand so it does not get trapped between the bottom of the stand and floor. I always use a pretty good number of feet to ensure the the stand is well supported and level. 

Warning! If you're sitting the tank on hardwood or other soft flooring materials make sure to use "feet" with a larger foot print I dunno 2.5 across/diameter and or many of them to give good weight distribution to prevent floor dents. 

All that's really important is that you add as much air gap as safely possible to prevent moisture from building under the stand in the event of small spills. 

Really hope some of this could be helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 6:12 AM, ReefdUp said:

We built our stand with a two inch lip around the base, which has contained every spill and overflow from the sump so far. We used a pond liner to make it waterproof. We also built a shelf around the entire display. It was meant to just be handy for setting things on, but it has also contained minor drips and splashes from the display.

Thank-you. I will keep that in mind when I set up in my new location.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, Incredible Mr. Limpet said:

Hello Sir, please check your messages. You can consider it gone! Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hello again - you ini

On 9/2/2020 at 1:46 PM, jason the filter freak said:

My stand has a 1x2 lip all the way around the base of the stand. The inside of the stand is coated with boat deck paint/sealer for the first 12" or so high inside the stand. All the seams and corners are inside the lip are siliconed about 3 inches up the corners and around all the edges. 

My tank is pretty small 28x30 foot print but the stand reliably holds 7-9 gallons (I don't remember) with nothing in the stand and not a drop of water on the floor after a 48 hr leak test where I filled it all the way to the tip top of the lip. I've since has plenty of smaller spills and nothing reaches the floor so far. 

I've made this water proof floor catch pan/whatever you want to call it design standard for my last couple of tanks in all cases I've had  and no cases of the leaks reach the floor.

Aa a precaution all my recent stands have had "feet" that give about 3/16th - 1/4"  clearence off the floor so when I get smaller spills from water changes or whatever I can use a small towel or rag to get any tiny puddles and drips that make their way under the stand so it does not get trapped between the bottom of the stand and floor. I always use a pretty good number of feet to ensure the the stand is well supported and level. 

Warning! If you're sitting the tank on hardwood or other soft flooring materials make sure to use "feet" with a larger foot print I dunno 2.5 across/diameter and or many of them to give good weight distribution to prevent floor dents. 

All that's really important is that you add as much air gap as safely possible to prevent moisture from building under the stand in the event of small spills. 

Really hope some of this could be helpful. 

Jason, What type of material are you using as "feet." I worked at a data center once and we used hockey pucks to elevate the server racks from the floor. 

On 7/18/2020 at 11:24 PM, YHSublime said:

Let me know if you want to borrow a Rubbermaid 150, can set everything in that until you’re ready to setup again! I’m currently running 3!

I’d emoji817.png be interested in all the fish and rock for a new 200 im setting up, and would be willing to take it all of that is your stipulation.

I keep having people say they are interested but don't show up.  If you are still interested, yes, I need all of it taken away. Free to a good home. 

1 hour ago, Lee Chambers said:

Hello again - you ini

Jason, What type of material are you using as "feet." I worked at a data center once and we used hockey pucks to elevate the server racks from the floor. 

Actually that seems like a super good idea actually as long as you don't need to pull the tank. I have mine on leveling feet that have felt bottoms. I would never ever do felt on the bottom of a tank that sat on say hardwood or carpet but since it sits on a solid non-porous polished surface (First it was on terrazzo at our last house and now it's on that fake tile stuff) I have been able to empty the tank most of the way and make little tiny adjustments in the realm of a few centimeters of moving the stand forward and backwards because it sits on the felt. 

The risk of the felt is if you had it on something like hardwood or carpet is it that it would absorb and hold waterThe risk of the felt is if you had it on something like hardwood or carpet is it that it would absorb and hold water