acrylic drilling

bcjm

I would like to drill a hole in the collection cup of my EuroReef skimmer so I can drain the waste to a separate container.  It produces a cup full every day or every other day depends on what I feed.  I am a bit concern cracking the entire cup when drilling.  Is there a right or wrong way to do this?

Go slow and do not apply too much pressure. If you go too fast, the acrylic will start to melt.   If you can do it so there is something solid on the other side (such as a small piece of wood, this helps.  I have used several types of wood bits, and no problems.

It also helps to put masking tape over the area to be drilled.  I usually use 2 layers of tape which seems to hold the acrylic well enough.  I also do this when cutting acrylic that has had the backing removed.

You also can not go too slow.  If you do, the blade may bind with the acrylic, especially with larger holes, and then you will have serious problems.

If possible, buy a piece of acrylic the same width as your collection cup and practice first to find the correct method.  I usually take a nail and make a small mark so the bit will somewhere to start and it won't slide, scratch and possibly even crack the acrylic.

Good luck,

Eddi