Green film algae

Joshifer

(edited)

I’ve never come across this problem before. It’s possibly this lighting it’s a cheap 10k white and Acintics led. But anyway. Everything’s turning green. I have 2 astrea snails and 2 cerinth and they wasn’t even putting a dent. I went today and got a big turbo and some chemi pure blue. (This stuffs nice my water is like glass) I honestly don’t know what my phosphates are I don’t have a tester for that. Ammo and trites are 0 trates are under 20 I do my water changes every Sunday. I run this light about 8 hours all on and 2 hours just the blue. 

im literally cleaning the glass everyday and my rocks are lime green. 

livestock is one clown and a few inverts Fed pellets once a day not over feeding and a hammer coral and a GSP. 

is their anything else I can do? I don’t think it’s coralline cus it’s a green powdery film on the glass I never tried scrubbing the rocks themselves.  I wanted chaeto but I can’t seem to get my hands on any. 

oh and I’m getting my rodi and salt water from reef escapes self serve stations. 

Edited by Joshifer

Hey Josh. If this is a relatively new tank, then it's not uncommon to have blooms like this until things settle. You're probably best to scrape and siphon out as much of the algae as you can. The algae is sucking up nutrients from somewhere and by removing it, you're exporting those nutrients. That is, the film algae is cleaning your water. You can also consider turning your lights down or reducing the light cycle or turning it off entirely for a day or two, then bringing it back on line slowly - starting with a short light cycle and adding a little time each day over a couple of weeks. That may give additional time for your bacteria to develop so it can compete with the algae for nutrients.. 

10 hours ago, Origami said:

Hey Josh. If this is a relatively new tank, then it's not uncommon to have blooms like this until things settle. You're probably best to scrape and siphon out as much of the algae as you can. The algae is sucking up nutrients from somewhere and by removing it, you're exporting those nutrients. That is, the film algae is cleaning your water. You can also consider turning your lights down or reducing the light cycle or turning it off entirely for a day or two, then bringing it back on line slowly - starting with a short light cycle and adding a little time each day over a couple of weeks. That may give additional time for your bacteria to develop so it can compete with the algae for nutrients.. 

hey long time no see hope you and yours are safe and well. Actually this tanks been running since august. And ran fallow for many months.  Just inverts. 

but anyway I did a Few big water changes and that chemi pure blue is doing a good job. The rock works slowly turning a pale green instead of bright like green. so it’s dying off.