Advice on SPS Coral List Using the Coralife x3 150W HQI 10k MH 4x96W Setup

Okay WAMAS family,

I only come to you when I know you are going to give it to me truthfully and honestly.

So, the picture below you will find a Coralife 72 Inch Aqualight Pro, 3x150W HQI MH Lamp + 4x96W Blue Acentic+ 4x1W Lunar LED fixture setup on my 21 day old 180g setup. The fixture is 12 inches off the waterline. I maintain a 79 temp in my basement.

I am starting this thread in hopes to get a nice long list of softies/LPS and mainly SPS that can grow successfully under this light fixture.

Additionally, I know that this light is not the best out there, so discuss upgrades to my lighting setup that would assist me with growing the higher end SPS. (Keep in mind budget spending) I’d like to stick with MH BTW.

Finally, again be honest and try to stick to your experiences and not someone else’s. This is my first time attempting to grow SPS. I have always done softies and some LPS over the years.

Thank you in advance to all who respond to this post! -Tony

25cd32566268782773751e9ed97cfb74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew sps, lps, and softies under a POS oddysea halide T5 combo 6 or 7 years ago... Even had a clam! Surely the corallife fixture can't be worse than that. I say, use premium bulbs and you should be alright. Obviously won't be the most efficient but I think it'd work for a while until you do your research and save up for the premium lighting.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice coastal! Points taken.

Could you give me some examples of Premium bulbs? Thanks!

Good starter sps is stylophora, birds nest, branching Monti digitata. For lps duncans, acans, and hammers. All common, pretty, and inexpensive.

Good starter sps is stylophora, birds nest, branching Monti digitata. For lps duncans, acans, and hammers. All common, pretty, and inexpensive.

Thanks Dweller! My wife loves birds nest so it looks like the pink one is going on the right side of the tank. Maybe a rainbow on the left.

I’m use to Duncan’s/hammers!

When is a good time to get Acans in the tank to ensure they are successful and don’t die? I see they grow pretty slow, but they are very colorful.

With LPS and SPS, you'll come to a point when dosing elements is essential. Do you have an idea which method you want to use? with my 180g, I find that 2 part works but consumption rates have gone up substantially as the tank filled in and matured. With that said, some monti's will take up a lot of space. If you place them too high, you run the risk of shading out corals mounted below. encrusting monti's might be a good option to mitigate that issue. I've always been a fan of acans and chalices in the lower to mid range of tank. for the top half, I would consider birdsnest, stylos, digitatas, and starter acros. 

Thanks Dweller! My wife loves birds nest so it looks like the pink one is going on the right side of the tank. Maybe a rainbow on the left.

I’m use to Duncan’s/hammers!

When is a good time to get Acans in the tank to ensure they are successful and don’t die? I see they grow pretty slow, but they are very colorful.

Well if you’re doing a mixed reef start with the easier corals and gradually add. If you’ve kept duncans and hammers see how the do a little bit after cycling. The worst thing to do is rush and add everything. Maintaining long term stability is necessary. As mentioned for sps and a lot of lps water conditions become more important. Ca/Alk maintenance is key, quality rodi and water changes are also. It could be okay day one, but months later everything could crash. Also low bio loads makes things easier. If you are new to certain corals recommend to be environmentally responsible and find corals that are aquaculture versus taken from the wild. The ones mentioned are commonly aquacultured which you’ll see other members selling cheap or LFS carrying from companies like ORA and biota. What we do does have an impact on the ocean.

Well if you’re doing a mixed reef start with the easier corals and gradually add. If you’ve kept duncans and hammers see how the do a little bit after cycling. The worst thing to do is rush and add everything. Maintaining long term stability is necessary. As mentioned for sps and a lot of lps water conditions become more important. Ca/Alk maintenance is key, quality rodi and water changes are also. It could be okay day one, but months later everything could crash. Also low bio loads makes things easier. If you are new to certain corals recommend to be environmentally responsible and find corals that are aquaculture versus taken from the wild. The ones mentioned are commonly aquacultured which you’ll see other members selling cheap or LFS carrying from companies like ORA and biota. What we do does have an impact on the ocean.

Awesome information! I am doing a mixed reef and plan to take it slow. Per the route mentioned above to start with the easier corals.

The plan is to focus on fish at first with this tank. Two clown fish to start and then 30 days later another two clownfish.

I will definitely be taking it slow to learn my tank chemistry.

Also, the plan is to get a stronger slimmer latter on. Right now I’m running the ASM G3.6fdfbf1e433727b876b81ccd5a554f28.jpg

Finally, I only use RODI and I will be completing weekly water changes.