Life rocks anyone?

Has anyone ordered Caribsea Life Rock “display box” before and how it is? There are tons of videos or pictures of the regular and “shapes” version but nothing about the “display box”. 

Also, if you’re running any life rocks, how do you like it?

6E600096-882E-49AC-89B1-08A056AB1BF4.jpeg

I ordered the $80 box off amazon. Put 5 pieces in my tank (1/4 of the box) and my skimmer went nuts for about 21 days. The rock looks good but my skimmer was crazy for a while. I sold the rest, but still have the 5 pieces in my tank. 

How are the 5 pieces now? I have heard that they loose color over time but what about any toxic stuffs you can think of? Don’t think the $80 deal is valid anymore 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They still look fine.  You wouldn’t know which ones they were since they look like all my other rocks. 

I have ordered two $80 boxes from amazon and both times have been really happy with my order. Like [mention]epleeds [/mention] said, your skimmer will go nuts for a while. Looks like the price went up a lot because it used to be $80 for a 40 pound box.

The purple life rock with bacteria still technically need curing. They are not “live rock” cause they have never been wet. They will still have to cycle in a new tank. The only difference between what Chubakah posted and the life rock, is that the life rock is purple and “infused” with bacteria. But it still needs to cycle in my opinion. 

I have some that was free at MACNA DC (try carrying 2 bags of rocks on Metro!).

I had talked to the Carib Sea guy at length. I believe curing the rock will at least partially negate the value of the infused bacteria. I put it right in my tank. Just turn down the skimmer before adding it.

It's just as good as any other rock, has a natural look as far as structure and composition, is nicely porous and has natural-looking holes for frag ends to help avoid epoxy.

The dark pink color will wear off if you treat the rock with anything corrosive, like hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, or bleach, but that is the case with natural rock as well. This results in an ugly color, rather than whitening like natural rock, but it will eventually blend back in with the other rock.

Lmao, I really don’t mind carry them as long as free! But I get what you mean about dc metro that I used to ride back in the days.

If i get them, I wouldn’t cure them. Just kinda of mad that I spent months on curing the rocks and sand, then now going on a different route. Well, on the bright side, it’s a learning curve and part of the hobby just like everything else in life!