Removable black background for tank?

Steve G

Advice needed!

I am ordering a tank and one option is to have a black background. I am installing this as a fishroom corner tank, which essentially means it's like a lagoon tank, with front and one side visible from viewing room and the back viewable from the fish room. The other side will have the overflow.

It occurred to me that sometimes Id like to see the tank from the fishroom side, not just over the top. Granted, I'd have to keep the back glass scraped to do this, but I'd be spending time back there. On the other hand, my wife doesn't want to see the fish room from the viewing room.

Is there a decent option for a background that can placed there and removed as needed? I mean, I could tape something up, but I want it to be neat. This would be a 72" x 25" pane. Not sure if others have done this or seen a good solution.

Thanks!

You could use a piece of black acrylic on magnets. Very easy to do. 

mount to the outside of the back of the tank. Take it down when your working on it and put it back up to keep the wife happy. 

Black cling vinyl (no adhesive) peels off and goes back on, but it's a pain to get the bubbles out.

Thanks Eric and ReefdUp, I will go with the clear back glass and try one of these add-ons. If anyone else has firsthand experience and has a recommendation (acrylic mounted on magnets, cling vinyl, or other) let me know!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Any black stiff waterproof panel that can be hooked or magneted to the back will work. Anything difficult to remove or reinstall won’t get used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought window tint from HD and applied it to the end panel. I installed 2 layers to get it dark enough that light from my phone’s flashlight wouldn’t shine through while laying on the glass. I don’t remember specifically which one I used. However, as you can see below it provides a one way view. You can see through the area I cleaned for my new powerheads. Might be an option for you. I can see it a little clearer than the phone camera picks it up.

large.IMG_20200509_190812.jpg.9565b12d015c7eb79eb82e47987636ca.jpglarge.IMG_20200509_190759.jpg.f90cf56b98ff1ec8a216c64f1bacbc06.jpg

• 7 months later...

Just revisiting this thread to share what I ended up doing and say that I love my solution, in case anyone else has a similar issue.

I bought a custom vinyl blackout shade from Select Blinds and hung it from the ceiling behind the tank. It is awesome! I just went online, gave them my dimenions, selected the simplest options (non-fancy rollershade) and paid $95. A couple weeks later it's delivered to my door. I get a clean black background whenever I want, but I can roll it up and work on (or admire) the tank from the business side any time I want.

Here it is from the fish room with the shade up:

image.png.a166889081e41cd9d4c0897daf49c327.png

Shade down:

image.png.7a145e1cc21505d3f32cdcfbc2085d3a.png

Here it is from the display side, with the shade up (in person the fish room looks very visible through the back glass, and not pretty)

image.png.838b2830efd6e27dcab48a89b958b44a.png

And finally, shade down, clean background:

image.png.823f7d2e59805d166a1c5a375727505b.png

I think I like this look better than a back wall or coralline algae (or GSP mat!) It will require keeping the glass scraped, but that's what magnets are for. Thanks, everyone for your creative suggestions, and happy reefing!

Steve