ID please, should i rid myslef of it? what is it?

This has been on my live rock for about 2 weeks, it came in on the rock and I haven't seen any thing done by it.... there are neighboring feather dusters that it hasn't seemed to have harmed :eek: ....post-975-1156810477_thumb.jpg

Zoom in and look at what is circled in pink, and surrounded by yellow :wig:

post-975-1156810511_thumb.jpg

post-975-1156810542_thumb.jpg

post-975-1156810600_thumb.jpg

post-975-1156810640_thumb.jpg

This has been on my live rock for about 2 weeks, it came in on the rock and I haven't seen any thing done by it.... there are neighboring feather dusters that it hasn't seemed to have harmed :eek: ....post-975-1156810477_thumb.jpg

Zoom in and look at what is circled in pink, and surrounded by yellow :wig:

It looks like a spaghetti worm....keep it

Sean

It never moves from this location and always retracts into the same spot at dirrent times of day, and has many many little arms, at least 6 or 7

I have a spaghetti worm similar to that. Stays in the same general location... many arms... comes out different times throughout the day/night and scavenges for food.

Ahh interesting, from time to time, i notice a hole in the rock about one inch down from where the tentecles come from day to day take a "dump" or eject what appears waste from time to time... Are those tenticles harmful?

Guest alex wlazlak

yeah i have the same thing and was wondering what it was.. what do they do for the tank? just filter feed or what?

It's just a worm. Nothing to worry about. There are many different "spaghetti" worms and this is just one variation of it. I don't know the specifics about which kind it is, but it basically builds a "shell" or a tube with a mucous coating and secretions (some will use substrate and detritus to build theirs, others simply live in a hole). The "tentacles" you are seeing are used to draw food into the mouth and they are not really filter feeders in the true nature of the name. They are more scavengers that will pull in any food they can to their mouths. They are so tiny, though, that they really can't handle anything of any size. I also don't think they are predatory at all, but I'm not certain of this. Do a search for spaghetti worms and you should come up with quite a bit of information. They are, by the way, good for your system. They will keep the liverock detritus free and keep your sandbed clean as well.