(CANCELED) Saturday, April 18 (Spring 2020) Meeting - Colby Johnson

Origami

CANCELED DUE TO CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC

Saturday, April 18, 2020
Time: 1:00 P.M. - 5:30 P.M. (Speaker starts at 3 PM)
Where: Luther Jackson Middle School, 3020 Gallows Rd., Falls Church, VA 22042

WAMAS members get in free. Guests are $5 each (paid at the door). 

Refreshments provided by WAMAS. 

Speaker: Colby Johnson

Topic: Confessions of a Fish Nerd: Importing, Quarantining, Conditioning and Spawning Marine Ornamentals

1184475321_ColbyHeadShot.jpg.e40a76662e0c346de0af00ea903fd7af.jpg

I have been a fish nerd from day one. Like all good fish nerds, I grew up flooding my parent’s house on occasion with numerous aquariums. My adventures in guppy breeding gave way to breeding seahorses and clownfish when I was in middle school. My fish obsession continued through and after college where I worked alternatively as an aquaculturist and fisheries technician up and down the West Coast, from California to Alaska. After an additional stint in school and the good fortune of spending a year conducting research on fish nutrition, I opened and operated a high-end marine fish retail business, Pacific Island Aquatics. From sea dragons to angelfish, my aquariums are always full. Currently, I am with Piscine Energetics, working to bring sustainability to the forefront of our industries discussion around fish food. I’ve presented at aquarium clubs and industry conferences like AZA, MBI and RAW. My current fish collection is dominated by marine angelfish. It’s safe to say I am a nut! My talk will focus on my background and experiences in importing, quarantining, conditioning and spawning marine ornamentals.

Agenda:

1:00 - 2:50 Sign-in / socialize / frag sales
2:50 - 3:00 Club business
3:00 - 4:00 Speaker
4:00 - 4:20 Break
4:20 - 5:00 Raffle!

Directions to North Bethesda Middle School:
- NOTE: The school is just inside the north edge of the beltway near Old Georgetown Road.

Here's a map from Google Maps:

https://goo.gl/maps/bKz79Y9HmQF2

Special thanks to these sponsors. Please support them & say thanks next time you shop with them. You can find their website address by visiting their forum or the sponsor page on the WAMAS website.

Special thanks to theses sponsors. Please support them & say thanks next time you shop with them. You can find their website address by visiting their forum or the sponsor page on the WAMAS website.

WAMAS Platinum Sponsors 

- Aquarium Depot
Avast Marine
Blue Ribbon Koi
Capital Aquarium
Dr. Mac's Pacific East Aquaculture
FishnReef.com
LRS Reef Frenzy
- Pimped Out Aquariums

- Piscine Energetics
- Premium Aquatics
- Reed Mariculture (Reef Nutrition)
Reef eScape

- Reef2Rainforest Media (Coral Magazine)
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Supreme Reefs

WAMAS Banner-Only Sponsors 

Cobalt Aquatics
- Coralvue
- Jellyfish Art
Live Aquaria

- MASNA
- Two Little Fishies

Raffle Prizes:

To Be announced

Sponsors On Site:

To be announced

Members Selling at the Meeting:

To be announced

Watch this space for more information to be made available as it arrives!

• Origami changed the title to (TBR) Saturday, April 18 (Spring 2020) Meeting - Colby Johnson

Yesterday (March 16), the CDC issued guidance recommending that, for the next 8 weeks, organizers cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the US. The WAMAS Spring Meeting, scheduled for April 16 meets those criteria. Consequently, we will either cancel or postpone the meeting, or move it to an online format. Officers are discussing our options and will post our plans as soon as we are able.

Again, the WAMAS Spring 2020 Meeting will NOT take place as a face-to-face gathering on April 18. New details will be released as available.

• Origami changed the title to (CANCELED) Saturday, April 18 (Spring 2020) Meeting - Colby Johnson

Given the global situation with coronavirus, it should come as no surprise that we are canceling the Spring 2020 meeting and will, instead, try to reschedule Colby for the Summer Fragfest meeting. Colby lives in rural Washington State and his internet connection is insufficient to keep a high-quality live video presentation going. He looks forward to visiting us in the near future, though!