Current/Waves/Flow

Since I have a pretty decent tendancy to start argumentative threads I thought I'd ask this, and becuase my power sweep power heads keep sezing...

Whats the best way to create current in a tank, I have a 55 gallon tank with about 60 - 70 Lbs of LR, it has a silica sand bed.

If I don't count any of my power heads that are currently in the tank (5) the olny thing creating current are two out puts from a fluval 305, and 405 (directed down over my heaters) and on the oppsite side of the tank pointing along the lenght and toward the surface to churn the surface is the output from my sump (400 GPH)

Whats the best way to create current/waves/flow that's healthy and conductive to the tank :fish: ... 1. where's the best place to place power heads, 2. where/ which direction should the be pointed, 3. how much current is nessecary, 4. how much is too much?

I'm not interested in sea swirls, or other similar devices

I plan to make some of these with Maxi Jet 900's http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8317 I was told my 1200 would be too much for the tank.

Edited by jason the filter freak

I have a wavemaker with 5 powerheads on it. 2 are in the back under the rock work. 2 are in either corners shoots towards the front of the tank and the last one is at one side shooting towards the surface.

Sitck them where they will keep water movement as much as possible. Have one at the surface. Just mix them up, try hiding them, i have 3 that stick out like sore thumbs, Doesn't bother me. I have alot of flow in my tank with all the PHs but they are not always all on at the same time. I don't think you can get too much flow unless nothing settles out of the water column.

You have any trouble with it?

Unfortunately I just switched over from a crushed coral sand bed less than 2 weeks ago... I don't know. I haven't had any problems yet...