Hello from the new guy!

VicSkimmr

Hi guys,

I just signed up, so I thought I should introduce myself.

My name is Jason, and I've just moved from Myrtle Beach, SC to Harrisonburg, VA. I graduated from Coastal Carolina University (Conway, SC) with a BS in Accounting, but my first 3/5 years was spent as a Marine Science major.

I've been keeping reef tanks for the past 5 years, but I recently had to tear mine down and sell everything because of the move. My last tank was a 55 gallon Acrylic SPS dominated reef that was full of problems.

Anyway, I'm finally settling down in a townhouse (I've been living with my parents for the past 4 months) and I think its good time to get back into the hobby. I've got plans formulated, but I won't bore you guys with those just yet till I can play around with Sketchup for a bit. Its going to be a shallow SPS dominated reef tank (65 gallons), but I haven't hammered out the specifics.

I hope to meet some of you soon! I've heard this is a great club.

Jason Withers

Welcome Jason! With the lessons learned frm your past experiences and the great advice you will receive from the folks around here, you shouldn't have as many problems this time. The main thing is that you should not skimp on lighting or skimmer and take your time. I'm sure you already know that though!

You should also upgrade to full member status ASAP. This will allow you to access the sale/trade and group buy areas of the forum, sure to save you much more than the $20 you will spend on the membership fee.

~Bob

Welcome Jason! With the lessons learned frm your past experiences and the great advice you will receive from the folks around here, you shouldn't have as many problems this time. The main thing is that you should not skimp on lighting or skimmer and take your time. I'm sure you already know that though!

You should also upgrade to full member status ASAP. This will allow you to access the sale/trade and group buy areas of the forum, sure to save you much more than the $20 you will spend on the membership fee.

~Bob

Welcome Jason! I'm with Bob on his advice.

Welcome Jason!

Dittos what Bob said! Looking forward to meeting you someday down the road!

Welcome.

There is another great member, goes by Fishfreek here, that lives in your area. Run a personal board, and is full of great advice. Look him up.

(edited)

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

I've already got the skimmer, a EuroReef CS-1

For lighting, I'm torn between 2x250 watt MH or T5's. Or maybe a combo of both. I just don't know!

Edit: I guess I could describe the tank a little bit. Its going to be 36"x24"x17", from Glass-Cages. It'll be viewable from 3 sides, with the overflow box on one of the 24" sides. I'll post a diagram tomorrow to help illustrate it.

Edited by VicSkimmr

For lighting, I'm torn between 2x250 watt MH or T5's. Or maybe a combo of both. I just don't know!

Vick I love the MH shimmer effect but I hate the heat! I'm running T5's now and I love it, not shimmer :( but NO HEAT issues! :wink: With excellent coral growth. Here is picture of my tank on 5X39W TEK T5 retro's.

BTW in the next couple of weeks I'll be selling 5X36" TEK reflectors, 3X39W Ballasts, 2X39W Aquablue+ Bulbs, 2X39W Pure Actinic Bulbs and 1X39W 6500K Mid-Day Sun Bulb (All the Bulbs are Geissman) These items are 5 months old and the reason for sale is because I'm going with 5X54W TEK T5 retros on a 90G tank. I paidaround $450.00 new, we can discuss the price if interested.

IMG_2703.jpg

Raf

Welcome Jason :bluefish:

I started off with MH (10K) only in my tank and the colors were not to great I just put in VHO atinics and what a diference. My sugestion do a combo!

Carla

Edited by Valeria