Just a picture

treesprite

I put more of my liverock in the new tank, so I guess I can post a general picture of the tank now (taken with phone since I don't own a camera). I've got more rock, but it won't fit.

IMG_20191223_000154.thumb.jpg.1de0c2f36f908a5b9434a79554993689.jpg

I need to change the white PVC piece on the Sea Swirl that is sticking out like a sore thumb.  I have to have open rockwork to accommodate a fish I don't have yet. Some other pieces of rock look odd together, but more corals will eventually fix that problem. I lost almost all sps a long while back (except orange monti and pavona) (and gave away a ton of LPS), so I will be looking for more in the future (after I get a new pump) to put on those bare rocks. Maybe the next WAMAS meeting...

Edited by treesprite

It's just a 75g, but it's a big improvement  compared to what little stuff I had to use during the past couple years (since deciding not to finish the ripoff of a used 120 I have just sitting full of junk in the junk room).

This is my first BA OF tank (DIY external box), so I am realing loving the lack of noise. There is nothing else after a BA.

4 hours ago, finaddict said:

Hey treesprite is that the 75g that I gave you? If so I am real glad to see you drilled it successfully.

dave

Yes it is, thank you. I passed the favor on and gave the new one to my friend who didn't care that it was tempered. This one has a few scratches, but nothing like my old 75 which I ended up abandoning when I vacated my storage unit because it seemed no one wanted it and I didn't have a way to move it at the time.

I'm pretty good at drilling, I have done it a lot. I drilled 5 holes in the tank itself (3 x 1.5 exits and 2 x 1" inputs), and 3 holes (for 3 x 1.5) drains in the bottom of the external box (which I had to do twice because I dropped something on the first bottom glass I had drilled). I debated for a while about drilling for CL exit but decided to do OTB intake, partly because my wrists were bothering me too much (both have been broken before, so all the drilling I did had them hurting/tingling for days), and partly because whoever might get the tank after me would probably have no use for holes down low in the tank.

The CL intake isn't in the tank in the picture because one of my pumps was broken and I have to buy a new one before I can use the CL. I drilled a few hundred holes in a 1" pipe and painted it black. At first I used a 1.5 and cut slots in it, but the pipe was too wide to fit in the corner, because I put my return holes so close to the ends of the wall not thinking about the intake (at that point I was still thinking of drilling more holes). Thanks to Meleev for the OTB intake idea, though I think his pipe had nowhere near enough holes in it.

Here's a pic of the intake, just not hooked up:

IMG_20191122_191607.thumb.jpg.bd4bc3ca794a55c3d8c6f6cf91e5ccba.jpg

Other side of it, not attached: 

IMG_20191228_152933.thumb.jpg.a989dd3b41378924c25bc1eb3a71f179.jpg

Water has to be put in the top of the pipe to prime the CL pump, hence the sticking up part. The valve helps keep air from getting in before I can get the cap on the pipe.

I tested the CL with a pump that is only 950gph, which worked, but along with that pump being noisy, the flow from either end was not strong enough to feel on my hand more than half the length of the tank when I want some crossing over as the alternating by the SCWD is happening.

The two black pipes in the corners of the tank are CL returns (outputs are behind the rocks). I didn't need those holes for sump returns because I'm using a Sea Swirl. There is a SCWD on the CL returns.' I'd really like to replace the painted pipes with black PVC, because the paint gets scratches which then shows the white which is obnoxious.

Edited by treesprite