Measuring Success?

Jsack

I'm curious how those of you who have been in it for a long time measure success. With my mixed reef tank up at about nine months, and coral healthy and growing, I guess I'm trying to figure out where I am versus where I could be or where I hope to be.  

I guess I could see more growth and better color with increased stability and an eye towards maintaining optimal parameters, but I just don't know if it's worth it for me. I think the only reason for me to be better at monitoring my water chemistry is to avoid harm to the animals I care for.  Maybe it would be helpful see where things are headed before seeing any declines. I just haven't really experienced any significant events yet. Of course as my coral grow and have increased demands, this might be more necessary.  

I see incredible reef tanks that have been up little more time than mine, and wonder how much difference between these tanks and my own has to do with husbandry versus the size and types (and cost) of corals that others are starting with. 

I'm including a picture of my tank for honest feedback. I typically do biweekly water changes of about 15% and no dosing (except vodka...), running 1 xr30 (gen1) on my 65 gallon tank. Water tests haphazardly. I have chaeto growing in my sump as well as my skimmer. 

I know my flow and lighting could be improved, and am inclined to improve flow before lighting. I also think that this is not my first tank, will probably hold off on pricey equipment upgrades until I move to a larger tank. You'll see that I'm also using an hob overflow, which will probably wait until a tank upgrade. The biggest factors concerning my timeline for upgrading are my growing number of specimens (for) and the wife (against). I imagine a bigger tank won't satisfy my need for more space as much as facilitate these recent addiction...

Thanks in advance for anyone giving feedback or sharing your thoughts, add well as those WAMAS reefers who have made this hobby more approachable through your collective advice and your awesome frags. 

20191217_081113.jpg

The thing about reefkeeping is it is pretty much all about time and keeping the tank as consistent as possible.  When you have those things, the tank will fill in very quickly.  The more you test, the more you learn about the tank, its needs, and how its changing.  I would recommend testing more and doing water changes more often.  Since you are not dosing and relying on water changes for the replenishing nutrients for your corals, you need to do water changes more often to keep the tank more stable.  I would recommend trying 2 part dosing after you have tested 5-6 times a week in between water changes to see what your nutrient demands are.  If money is a bit tight for buying equipment, there are several cheaper options to get you in the door. The Jebao DP-3 ($54 on amazon) is a good entry level option if you are dosing small amounts only once or twice a day. But once a tank gets more established, I would shift to a more reliable dosing pump that has a longer durability for dosing more nutrients more often.

But how I personally measure success is that the fish are staying active and well fed, algae is kept out of the display, corals are growing at a good rate (about 1 inch a month for thinner hard corals, hammer coral heads doubling every 3-4 months, zoanthids putting out feelers and new heads weekly), and I am keeping equipment in clean and working order.

Edited by sethsolomon

For me, success is being able to take  frags and grow them into a large colonies (years of care). But even so, it is like a chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  For as good as my tank looks and everyone who see it tells me that, all I seems to focus on is the things that are not quite right.

I guess success is relative.

Just keep at it.

IMG_1245.thumb.jpg.70af9af6c7d3a70e6d140c2a3b309d48.jpg

This is helpful, thank you. My water  testing with such with irregular frequency does not afford me the ability to see consumption rates. I think this would be a good 1st step.

I didn't think that my water change  regimen was so far off.

Edited by Jsack
Missing words

I don't think success is subjective with respect to your tank. Looks awesome!   I hope have a tank of this caliber, and more importantly that i don't doubt my success for a minute. 

6 minutes ago, Jsack said:

This is helpful, thank you. My water  such with irregular frequency does not afford me the ability to see consumption rates. I think this would be a good 1st step.

I didn't think that my water change  regimen was so far off.

Your water change regiment is good.  I was more just recommending ways you could potentially improve.  For me, I feel the more consistent you can make a tank, the better it will be. 

When I read your post it seemed like you were looking on feedback on things that could help get you to the same level as these people that have crazy full tanks at a year in. The thing to remember with comparing tanks that not everyone is spending the same amount of money of their tank. Those guys with show tanks that are only a year old have spent a lot more than someone who has waited 2-3 years for their tank to fill in from natural growth.  IMO I have way more respect for the person who has kept their tank healthy for the 2-3 years to let it fill in than the person with the 1 year old show tank.

6 minutes ago, Jsack said:

These growth rates are interesting.  I imagine it's a different story with small frags. 

Actually it's very achievable.  Coral can grow very quickly if you provide the best environment for them.  

5 minutes ago, sethsolomon said:

Your water change regiment is good.  I was more just recommending ways you could potentially improve.  For me, I feel the more consistent you can make a tank, the better it will be. 

When I read your post it seemed like you were looking on feedback on things that could help get you to the same level as these people that have crazy full tanks at a year in. The thing to remember with comparing tanks that not everyone is spending the same amount of money of their tank. Those guys with show tanks that are only a year old have spent a lot more than someone who has waited 2-3 years for their tank to fill in from natural growth.  IMO I have way more respect for the person who has kept their tank healthy for the 2-3 years to let it fill in than the person with the 1 year old show tank.

Spot on with where I'm at. Thanks

I agree with Seth,

consistency is key for me. I do WC religiously every 2-3 weeks.

Remember, patience is key!!!!!! Nothing good happens quickly and no show tank grows out overnight.

Everything in my tank started from 1-2" frags.  Those big acro colonies has been growing for 3-4 years.

Tip: Take a full tank shot every 1st of the month.  It will be easier to see your progress over time.

I felt successful when my tank was producing enough to pay for its own upkeep, looked good, and had variety. Right now it is costing me money and lacks variety.

Knowing basic tank maintenance and water chemistry is simply not enough. My mistake was that I didn't consider all possible factors in the environment around the tank that can have serious adverse impact on what is in the tank. Unfortunately, there isn't much information on the internet, and some things are hard to identify. Consider everything you do in your home, chemicals you use, air quality, ventilation and air conditioning, pets in the home, cleaning chemicals you use, mold, insects that might get in the water, and a lot of other things. 

Edited by treesprite