Bubbles.... Bad or Good

This is actually a two part question/discussion

A. All the peoples aquariums I've seen so far lack any kind of air pump and air stones, how are they getting oxyges into the water?? I have two canisterfilters and a sump on my tank, along with 5 power heads each at at least 125 GPH up to 250 GPH. Do I not need my 4 air stones and 2 deep water air pumps? :why:

B. One of my powerheads and ocasionally the out put from one of my canisterfilter will push out a plume of micro fine bubbles that take a while to disperse from my tank and some times settle on and cling to my fish and LR ... is this a problem? Can they cause i'll effects? Should I replace my power head or can something be done to fix it? :why:

A) Surface exchange... if you look at the surface of most of these tanks they are fairly turbulent which makes for good O2 exchange.... Also if they have a sump splashing water there will also oxygenate the water, and finally skimmers add O2 to the water...

B) Micro bubbles are mostly an issue astehetically... but some creatures can have truble if they "eat" air bubbles. Best to minimize them if you can.

Dave

Jason,

i asked the same exact ? a couple of months ago........and found out just what dave said....add turbulence to the water surface and youre protien skimmer supplies all the needed o2 to the water.

Bryan

Any one know from experience why my power head may be having the issues they are? Kicking out bubble and what not... I have no air line attached.

It's sucking in air from either the surface (are they located close to the top?) via small "whirlpools" or the air is simply accumulating in the powerhead and when the bubble gets big enough it gets sucked in and shredded, sending tiny bursts of bubbles into your system.

Maybe when you take them out to clean and what not, air bubbles got caught inside are are slowly purging out. Try flipping them upside down and around, under the water.