RO prefilters exposed

flowerseller

I just replaced my prefilters and thought I'd post photos of what's inside, just for grins.

sediment prefilter #1

prefilter1.jpg

These start their lives really white and are generally located in the first canister of RO units.

Appears to be lots of fibery like paper wrapped rather tightly. 5micron

carbon prefilter #2

prefilter2.jpg

This prefilter is generally located in the second canister and is the first of 2 carbon filters.

Looks pretty much the same appearence wise coming out as it did going in. 5micron

Carbon prefilter #3

prefilter3.jpg

The third and final prefilter before the membrane. It's actually a "carbon block"

which I believe starts out as a powder and is then pressed into the desired shape.

By the time water reaches this filter, it's pretty darn clean, but not finished yet. 5micron

RO Membrane

I haven't had to replace mine yet so I'll post an image when when I do.

I make about 70 gallons a week for top off and water changes in my 300 gallon system.

I change the prefilters when the TDS gets to be about 0.05-0.06.

Nice pics... was that supposed to be tds 5-6 or do you really change at tdst 0.05-0.06

Dave

My tds never ever got below 2 - even with brand new pre-filtes and membrane. After 6 months the tds is 3-4. Do I have a bad tds meter?

-- Rob

On my TDS meter 5-6 would be 50-60, or 0.50-0.60 so yes, I change them at 0.05-0.06

????? :why:

NO idea what that statement means...

As for me... I tyically change when my TDS meter hits 5-6. I get a reading of 11 pre DI and 0 post DI (after changing filters).

Dave

Rob,

RO/DI? or just RO? What does your water (out of the tap) start at (TDS wise)?

How much water do you make?

I make ~50gal/week. After about 6 months I see some rise in my TDS (from 0 to 2-5 range).

Dave

Well I looked at the TDS meter again only this time with my glasses on.

Low and behold there is no . ,so it is actually 005-006 not 0.05-0.06

Sorry I completely blew your mind there Dave.

Neon,

I've only gotten mine down to 001 with 002 usual, never 000 as some have.

Is your 6 stage? Mine is but I don't use the final "taste" filter and bypass it.

It's allright.... just wanted to be clear there...

Dave

I guess one of these days I should buy a real TDS meter. I have the Kent Marine RO Monitor. I should put that in the product reviews as a waste of money. It is battery operated. You put the probe into your water, press a button and it gives you a red light if your TDS is above "acceptable" limits or a green light if it is acceptable. The Kent Marine definition of acceptable: Factory default is below 200. Unit can be set to 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, or 500. You don't get a number, just whether or not TDS is below that value.

My tds never ever got below 2 - even with brand new pre-filtes and membrane. After 6 months the tds is 3-4. Do I have a bad tds meter?

-- Rob

Rob, I have a fresh packet of Hana TDS Calibration fluid if you want. It's 800ppm and you just dial your TDS meter to 800 (if it reads in that range).

Rob, I have a fresh packet of Hana TDS Calibration fluid if you want. It's 800ppm and you just dial your TDS meter to 800 (if it reads in that range).

Very cool! Where did you get the calibration fluid?

-- Rob

PS. Do I hear TDS meter calibration party? :cheers:

Neon,

I've only gotten mine down to 001 with 002 usual, never 000 as some have.

Is your 6 stage? Mine is but I don't use the final "taste" filter and bypass it.

Mine is a 6 stage too... assuming you mean 3 prefilter stages, RO stage (4), DI stage (5), and a final 'taste' stage (6)...

I use stages 1,2,3,4,5 for my aquarium water and stages 1,2,3,4,6 for drinking water that is routed to my kitchen.

-- Rob

Rob,

RO/DI? or just RO? What does your water (out of the tap) start at (TDS wise)?

How much water do you make?

I make ~50gal/week. After about 6 months I see some rise in my TDS (from 0 to 2-5 range).

Dave

Dave, let me get back to you on my tap TDS... I make 200 gal a month for water changes, plus around 10-20 gal a month in the kitchen.

-- Rob

• 11 months later...

I do GB's with Lee Stearns and we get it from AQUASAFE from Ebay.

We like them buy a case of 6 sets (18 catridges) plus taste filter which I only use on my fridge.

I could use another round about now

When is the last time you checked your TDS and decided you needed to change PF's?

I think an increase in TDS is more an indication of a need to change DI as opposed to Pre-filters.

FYI, BRK has very fair prices on prefilters. John is now a dealer for Air, Water, Ice, Wind and Fire.

True. Prefilters do not reduce TDS. If anything, they can actually increase TDS.

Air, Water, Ice, Wind and Fire... :lol: