Questions about cleaning an Acrylic tank!

Myst3ry_sea

Hello all,

I’ve been struggling to find a good cleaning tool for an Acrylic tank without leaving scratches behind. Do y’all have any suggestion on one that won’t scratch the acrylic and at the same time remove any kind of algae like coralline?

I’ve read up and found that some people are using Mr. Clean regular magic eraser inside of their tank? Isn’t it contain chemical and could potentially harm the organism within the system?

Also, I’m also looking for a cleaner that is magnet so I don’t have to put my hand into the water? Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Myst3ry_sea said:

I’ve read up and found that some people are using Mr. Clean regular magic eraser inside of their tank? Isn’t it contain chemical and could potentially harm the organism within the system?

I believe that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a melamine foam which has very slightly abrasive qualities. It's not been an issue with hobbyists using it on acrylic panels for more than a decade now.

I’ll give Magic Clean a shot. I’m not familiar with that and want know if anyone in our community using it to clean their acrylic tank

I use the flipper with the plastic scraper on it.  I also flip it back and forth every so often just to make sure nothing gets under it.  

I’m using one at the moment and every now and then it would leave a small scratch on the tank

I try not to use the scraper on it above the bottom inch of the tank I have a plastic scraper I got from BRS I use everywhere else.  Idk if scratches are avoidable.  Just have to try to minimize it as best as u can

if and when you get the magic cleaner, get the "original" one.  Dont get the ones you use to clean bathrooms which I believe are "scented".  I also use the algae free mag cleaners for acrylic.