Azalea aquariums

madweazl

Was home from work today and decided to try a new (to me) shop in the Richmond area. It's in an old strip mall and it has obviously been in the same location for quite a while (dirty and dilapidated inside). He had a pretty good selection of fish and all appeared quite healthy with the exception of a couple tangs that had some nasty HLLE. It looked old school so I figured the salinity would be low to keep ich at bay; to that end, they run about 1.018 (23-24ppt). If you grab some fish there, provide them with some acclimation time. 

Very small selection of corals. 

Edited by madweazl

I've had 0 luck with the few saltwater items I got there. My girlfriend has had good experience with freshwater however. I always walk through and take a look at the saltwater section when are there. They get some interesting eels in sometimes. 

There's another one not far from there called "skoolz of fish". Mostly freshwater there but he has some stuff you rarely see usually. 

Didnt know there were other Richmonders here. I moved from Springfield to Chesterfield recently. Was in Richmond Aquarium for the first time 3 weeks ago and they were in the middle of a move. Fishtanks were empty. Corals seemed pricey. Looking forward to checking out their new location.

I've been to Richmond Aquariums before and wasn't really all that impressed.  I agree that their corals seem pricey.  I haven't checked out the other ones though.

My LFS in Norfolk is called Aquariums Unlimited.  They are a buy-with-caution store.  The owner and his son run the place, and they are quite knowledgeable and nice.  Equipment pricing is normal, so I buy from them when I can rather than online.  However, their fish, even in hyposalinic, can be seen swimming with obvious signs of disease, and I don't think I've been in the store where I haven't seen a dead fish in a holding tank somewhere.  There's not a ton of Reefers down my way, and no organizations, so I think there's just not a well-educated market.  Their corals also usually have aptasia on the plugs and are very pricey.  I'd rather buy fish online than from them tbh, but I also enjoy going and looking at their selection and displays.  I just wish there were more options, or that they store was incentivized to provide healthier fish.